Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Idaho Moose 2022

Shot my first elk in 10, on the antlerless only draw tag back in the early 90’s. Good times.
It’s amazing to think how many elk used to be in that country. Tons of cow tags and now you can’t kill one at all, not even during archery season. I think if we had the backcountry elk herds we did in the early to mid 80’s a bunch of the crowding talk you hear about now wouldn’t exist

It’s amazing to think how many elk used to be in that country. Tons of cow tags and now you can’t kill one at all, not even during archery season. I think if we had the backcountry elk herds we did in the early to mid 80’s a bunch of the crowding talk you hear about now wouldn’t exist
I caught the very end of the prime time in the Clearwater. They had the cow tag for two more years after I drew, then it was done. Have the wolves decimated the herd, yes, but they’re just polishing off a population that was already in decline.

Last edited:

Kinda wild to think about, as some of the front country units are now loaded with elk.

That used to be the hunt area to have in North Idaho. Are you semi-local so you will have a chance to scout?
I’m from Idaho falls so it’s a bit of a drive but I plan on making at least two trips up there. I went up this weekend but couldn’t get over hoodoo pass with the snow yet. I’ll be heading back up for the 4th though. It’s beautiful country for sure!

I’m from Idaho falls so it’s a bit of a drive but I plan on making at least two trips up there. I went up this weekend but couldn’t get over hoodoo pass with the snow yet. I’ll be heading back up for the 4th though. It’s beautiful country for sure!
You may have a hard time getting over Hoodoo even on the 4th. That top section holds snow for a while. It's slower, but could always come up from the south, through Pierce and Headquarters.

Dang! Leaving great moose country for so-so country

Dang! Leaving great moose country for so-so country
Unfortunately I can’t seem to draw by me
:( I did have a bull moose 10 yards behind me while duck hunting last year. Thought it was a really loud DNR officer until he started making that glucking sound.

Thanks for the advice everyone about hoodoo, I might have to try a different way in, I’d like to spend as much time as I can in the area. Thankfully I have weekends off so that helps.

Unfortunately I can’t seem to draw by me
:( I did have a bull moose 10 yards behind me while duck hunting last year. Thought it was a really loud DNR officer until he started making that glucking sound.

Thanks for the advice everyone about hoodoo, I might have to try a different way in, I’d like to spend as much time as I can in the area. Thankfully I have weekends off so that helps.
I did something similar in the early 90s - gave up on applying near where I lived and applied for a high odds tag at the head of the Selway.

@Sisu64, I will pm you with some old info. Edit - PM me after you have enough posts to send/receive messages.

USER=14060]@Khunter[/USER], you ought to talk duck hunting with @Sisu64.

Last edited:
Unit 10 is an old elk favorite back in the 80's. Also worked forest plots there but both were on the unit 10 - 12 border so haven't been in 10-3.

My favorite habitat type is there. Western Red Cedar with wild ginger as a forb. Boots will smell good.

10 tags with about a 50% success over the years. I'm sure there a scattered big bulls in the 50 inch range.

Bluffgruff - where are you hunting?

Lochsa drainage

My bride was the lucky gal this year. 1.1 long hunt.
We live in 1.2 but I run a wolf trapping line in 1.1 so that helps.
My wife asked me yesterday where is the best place to shoot a moose.
I told her on the road.

My bride was the lucky gal this year. 1.1 long hunt.
We live in 1.2 but I run a wolf trapping line in 1.1 so that helps.
My wife asked me yesterday where is the best place to shoot a moose.
I told her on the road.
Near a road. 😀

Back