Idaho living?

MThuntr

This is mostly directed at the guys that live in Idaho. There's an opportunity for promotion within my agency to move to Idaho. The advertisement has a big list of possible locations including: Bonners Ferry, Sandpoint, Coeur d'Alene, Plummer, Moscow, Orofino, Lewiston, Nezperce, Grangeville, Gooding, Shoshone, Twin Falls, St Anthony, Rexburg, Rigby, and Idaho Falls.

Some in places I would consider more desireable than others but I'm just not familiar enough with ID to know about the quality of life in most of those places. By quality of life, I mean hunting and fishing. Although I'd admit that rural living doesn't improve being single part of life :D

I'm trying not to get the cart before the horse but I'm curious. So if you could choose a place to live in ID where would you and why?

Definitely a lot of upsides and downsides to all of those towns.

My take on a few:

Twin Falls
Up: Small town friendly feel with lots of city-type retail stuff, close to hunting and fishing (pretty much can say this about anywhere in Idaho)
Down: Should be called windy falls

Lewiston:
Up: Close to some pretty fantastic salmon, steelhead and small mouth fishing.
Down: Not a fan of the town can't really tell you why.

Rexburg:
Up: Don't think I would ever put away the fly rod if I lived there
Down: Downright brutal winters from my experience

CDA:
Not much experience in this area. I drove to CDA back in 2003 looking for a place to relocate. (wanted out of Cali in a bad way) Passed through Boise and really liked it. I liked it so much that after 48 hours in CDA I drove back South to Boise and spent a week there showing up at all of the Engineering/Surveying firms begging to be hired. I do remember not liking the town of Spokeanne and not liking how close it was to CDA.

Many of the other towns you mentioned are within an hour or two of the areas I mentioned above.

Post falls (Coeur delene area) is really nice. Been here 12 years and dont plan to leave. Spokane is only 20 mins away so you have all the big city things one may need but get to live in a smaller town that still has some small town values. Hunting and fishing is good as well, although the wolves have knocked it down a few notches. Sandpoint is also a beautiful area.

I also live in the Cd'A area and love it here. There is a good mix of opportunities and people up here. Spokane is close and their airport has most of the flights I need for occassional work assignments/meetings, personal trips, etc. I actually don't 'visit' spokane that often, just pass through to the airport.

Sandpoint is nice as well and only a 45min drive from Cd'A. Less people and there are lots of transplants in both places. Unsure of the politics up there.

Cd'A is closer to awesome fishing in the St Joe, Cd'A Rivers. Area lakes are also very good.

I go through Bonners Ferry a lot because I hunt primarily in Bonner and Boundary counties. It's not quite for me though.

Good hunting all around.

When we moved we chose the Boise area and absolutly love it. I love to hunt and fish as much as the next guy but having a balance of weather, concerts, restaurants, sporting events and economy was important as well to my family.

Fowladdict summed it up very well. Really depends on how rural you want to be. All those towns will be within 2 hours of every big game species except say Cali bighorn coming from CDA but deer (both types), elk, bear and moose would be fairly close. Plus a variety of fishing everywhere.

Good luck.

My experiences from 5 years of living there 15-20 years ago,

Moscow,
College town, Most liberal leaning of the Idaho towns. Good whitetail hunting on private timberlands within 30 miles, open to recreation with a "pass". Close enough to the major rivers to do a day trip for steelhead. 20 years ago farmers granted bird hunting access on the spot. Not sure if still the case. Good wild Pheasant populations.

Lewiston:
Banana Belt in the River Canyon. Good place for the avid boater. Occasional whiff of Pulp mill on Northeast end of town. Gateway to Hells canyon. Mild Winters, Hot summers. Public State land to the south out of Waha (unit 11). State college

Grangeville: Not much going on unless you work for FS, or the grain elevator. Gateway to the Selway Wilderness. or lower Salmon river. Big National Forest nearby, pretty outdoorsy population, so you will have company. Recreation is playing more of a role in its economy. More so in Riggins and White Bird to the south.

Compare the cities stats here: CityData

MThuntr , you mentioned being single...What is your age range? If young (Like 20-25) then College towns like Moscow, Lewiston, Boise, might have a social scene to your liking.

Religion? If LDS, SE Idaho is an active community...Pretty much Twin Falls, East...

Which industry? If ag, Livestock or Agronomic?

Last edited:
having lived literally everywhere in Idaho I would choose CDA area/Moscow or where I currently live in Idaho Falls.
These places are great for hunting and fishing opportunities. CDA is probably more liberal than any other portion of the State. Moscow is a small college town with great big/upland game hunting. Close drive to Lewiston to do some Salmon and Steelhead fishing.
Idaho Falls has some great rivers to fish and good hunting. Roughly 50,000 people. Lots of them employed out at the "site" Idaho National Lab. Idaho Falls is close to Jackson and some good hunting in W. Wyoming as well.

Those would be my 3. I still hope to transfer back to N. Idaho someday...

+1 Mtn West

I love Boise. A lot of Idahoans aren't fans of the Treasure Valley because of the big city feel and liberals. But your an hour from good skiing, 2 hours from anything you could want to hunt or fish. I'm also single and in college, so it's nice having a few girls around and not being stuck in the boonies getting cabin fever like a lot of rural places in Idaho.

Twin Falls is a good bet. Small town feel but still plenty to do if you want to go see a movie or go out to eat. There is a good sized college there. Only 2 hours from Boise, 2 hours from Sun Valley, big game hunting to the north and south and great waterfowl hunting to the east and west. All within an hour or two tops.

I'd stay away from Rexburg (horrible weather), Lewiston (no chicks), and other real small towns if you are single. Seriously. Unless you are down to shack up with the local bartender that is missing teeth and named Bernice. Yah, you would be 20 minutes from good hunting versus an hour. But big deal, your splitting hairs. The trade off is nice since there is so much to do in Boise and the weather is so good but you can be in the outdoors in no time.

I've lived in Spokane, Lewiston, Grangeville, and now in the Treasure Valley. There is no doubt that all the areas have more prevalent activities than others, but you are extremely close to being able to do most anything whether it is hunting or fishing.

If you like close access to big city stuff, then CDA is a good bet...doesn't mean you have to live in town though, I'd probably look into Post Falls for sure. If you like the lakes, and the timbered woods, then you're all set here.

If you're only the occasional big city guy, then Grangeville would be it, and I would consider Lewiston my big city destination...unless it was a concert or sporting event that required a much bigger venue. In that case you could either head to Boise or Spokane. I'm biased with having lived and growing up here...you have the Snake, Salmon, and Clearwater at your disposal along with hunting the breaks for chukars or mule deer if you draw a tag, there are also many high country lakes, and boat accessible reservoirs like Dworshak. Big game hunting is 20 mins away...literally for pretty much everything except Cali Big Horns as mentioned. You will find a true winter here though for sure so if you're into having all seasons be true seasons...you'll find it here.

It's fairly warm in in Lewiston if you like the heat in the summer, and to be warm in the winter. You have access to big game hunting out on Waha or salmon, steelhead, and smallmouth on the snake. You'll be drawing for any mule deer tags though in central Idaho, but you'll have the benefits of an extended season for whitetails.

I can't really speak for much southwest like Twin Falls except the few times I've been there it's been windy as hell. Eastern Idaho is nice for certain...I guess the only negative thing I would say about over there is that it's too far from central Idaho...which I really love.

I missed the single part...you're probably better off with one the bigger towns. If you had a wife and family it might be a different story.

Thanks for the input so far. I really like what is said so far. A friend that lived in ID for a while before coming back to MT said Bonners Ferry is his choice.

Yup 31 (as of Friday) and single. I live in Lewistown, MT so my friends think I should move to Lewiston...that would be funny. My business is mostly livestock (private land).

For a single guy east Idaho can be tough, it's one of the reason's I left truthfully. I was in a small town though (saint Anthony) and I think things would have been way better if I could have lived in Idaho Falls. The hunting and fishing are hard to beat in that part of Idaho. Winter can be rough.

I'm in Moscow now and miss the hunting and fishing enough I've considered relocating. My fly rod saw almost no use this year and the elk hunting is slightly above poor IMO. I think steelhead and salmon fishing is a massive waste of time, so that part of this area does nothing for me. The climate is pretty great with fairly mild winters.

Truthfully I think you won't find better hunting or fishing opportunity than what you have. Montana is one of the places I've been considering heading just for those things.

I'd be looking at the south central part of the state. Give me anywhere within 50 miles of Twin Falls and I'd be happy. Now, if I could just convince my wife...

PS- As a single guy, southern ID is not far from NV if you get "lonely" and have money to burn... :D

Wow! What is the matter with you? :D Sounds like something a big city boy would say.

+1 on that.

And the hunting is good in Idaho, but it's hard. It's not as easy as it used to be, but it's still very good. Young legs don't hurt, but we always see game. Even in the heart of wolf country.

PS- As a single guy, southern ID is not far from KUNA if you get "lonely" and have money to burn... :D

Correction!

I would need to know more about you to be helpful.
what do you like to fish for?
what species do you hunt?
concerts? Movies? Clubs?

What?!!! The Balcony was your hidey hole!!! Does Richard and Al still own it?

10th Street Station pours a better drink for less (but no entertainment like the Balcony). Revolving craft beers now on tap.

If you live in the T.V. and have never been to the Balcony:hump::hump::hump:

I feel like I'm the only one that hasn't been to this Balcony place... Sounds like I need to find my way there at some point.

Back