Idaho hunters went crazy with big herd, slaughered elk wantonly

Wapiti Slayer

Idaho hunters went crazy with big herd, slaughered elk wantonly

By The Associated Press

IDAHO FALLS, Idaho (AP) -- Hunters who encountered a large elk herd during an Eastern Idaho hunt went crazy, state officials said, "shooting until they emptied their rifles" and then calling their friends to come and do the same.

Poaching was rampant, officials said. One game warden said 14 elk were shot and left to rot. Another biologist said six spikes and several branch antlered bulls were illegally shot.

Game wardens wrote 31 tickets for everything from shooting too many elk to hunting without a tag. Another 12 warnings were issued, and wardens said they are investigating 21 other cases.

The late November hunt east of Idaho Falls was planned to thin the 4,000-plus herd that annually migrates out of the Caribou Mountains to winter near the Tex Creek Wildlife Management Area.

Heavy snow had moved hundreds of elk out of the mountains earlier than normal, and biologists counted more than 1,500 elk just before the season opened.

When hunters found the large herd, they used cellular phones to spread the news. Some opened fire like boys with their first BB guns, officials said.

"People threw their ethics out of the window," said Terry Thomas, a regional manager with the Idaho Department of Fish and Game. "Hunters lost their brains. They were shooting until they emptied their rifles."

He saw one hunter shoot an elk and then open up on other animals.

"The bad stuff was disgusting," Thomas said. "There were people who did it right but the flock shooting, the 600-yard shots and the wounded elk is unacceptable."

The problem worsened when the hunters called friends to enjoy the bounty, officials said. Two weeks before the season, Fish and Game had sold about 800 tags. But when word about the big herd spread, another 1,600 tags were purchased -- for a total of 2,400 hunters, more than double the average number.

"I ran across a couple of guys from Pocatello who hadn't hunted for big game for decades," Thomas said. "Friends had called them. Everybody flocked to the hunt."

"We planned the hunt to have a high harvest on cows," said John Hanson, head of the region's game wardens. "From that standpoint, we felt it worked exceptionally well. On the flip side, it created an ugly atmosphere. It is some of the poorest sportsmanship that I've seen in my career."

how frickin stupid are people-- we need to ship these yawhooz to IRAQ and let em shoot all they want--will be interesting to hear what the penalties will be---chris

Fish and game went up there and scattered (or tried to) the elk with helicopters. I don't know if that was before during or after the "slaughter". This area had been a prime controlled hunt that several folks would put in for the limited tags every year. You were considered lucky and almost guaranteed to harvest, due to the late season and abundant herd. Fish and Game were asking for trouble to open this hunt up to general season, especially during late November. I highly doubt it will be done again next year. At least it shouldn't. There is alot of private land up there that is closed to the general public, so when the elk hit public land, there are hunter's everywhere looking for them and the elk have to run a guantlet. Fish and Game need a flexible season based on lottery drawn participants, who can go into these areas when the elk populations need to be controlled, at the time when the elk migrate into these areas due to snow fall. Due to our continuing drought, snowfall has not been something the automatically happens before halloween, to push the elk down from the high country. With a flexible season, hunters can be summoned when needed, and fish and game can get the harvest they need to control the populations where hey need to be. This drought is why there was so many elk that they opened the season up to a general hunt. Previous controlled hunts were not showing more than 20% harvest due to the lack of snow to push the elk down from the high country into their winter ranges and migratory routes where fish and game wanted them to be harvested.

The bozos who participated in this should loose their hunting privelidges for at least 10 years if not for life, especially the flock shooters and party hunters.

Fish and Game needs to go back to the days where you had to buy a tag before the season started, or you have to wait 72 hours before you can validate and use your tag that is purchased during the season.

Flock shooting and machine gunning elk are not new. It's been practiced for years by slop hunters and those who cannot control their "elk fever". I liken it to road rage. It happens to everyone, most keep it under control, due to penalties that would be leveled if they didn't. Same needs to apply for hunters. These folks need to be made an example of.

It's too bad this had to happen in Idaho of all places. That's all we need is a few stupid idiots making the rest of us law abiding hunters look really foolish. I agree with TTLS, take away their hunting privileges and see how much they like it.

Sounds like the migration hunt in Wyoming. People randomly shooting into a herd of animals. Wounded elk running off and no one tracking them. Just turn and shoot another one. Sure does make you wonder sometimes..

:cool:

Sad to say, but I knew someone who is now deceased, that used to hunt with an M1 Garrand. He didn't stop shooting until something hit the ground. I think there are still way to many of his generation or mentality among us. :(

There also seems to be alot of folks who don't know or care about ballistics and what it really takes to kill an elk. You go folks out there using a .243 or shooting a half mile either because they think it's studly to make a long distance kill or they misjudge distance and are too lazy and impatient to get closer. This type of garbage results in many wounded game and more nails in the coffin of sport hunting.

Sportsmen (most of these slobs can't even be called that), quit giving the anti's ammo to shoot us with!!!! :BLEEP: |oo :MAD

Another sad day for wildlife. I see it here in Wyoming, as Dan mentioned, every year. The F&G, Park Rangers, Fish & Wildlife have their hands full. More and more hunters are calling in these violators and more and more slobas are being caught every year. The Highway Patrol and Sheriffs Dept. is right there with them to bust the slobs. It makes one wonder what goes through their little minds when they are doing such a disgraceful act.

Its a felony in Texas to poach. Some stiff penalty would help prevent this. They would then decide, what's worth more, the risk a few years in jail and a few thousand dollar fine and a felony record (i.e. not allowed to vote and own weapons) or this elk. Right now the elk are worth more to them, than the risks for taking the elk. How many tags could one person have for that?

That's sad. I would hope that the names of all of these idiots are published so that they can be spited for the rest of the lives.

It is completely frustrating trying to defend "sportsmen" when douche bags like this muddy the water.

Ithaca,

Maybe he should change his name to Eleven beers, 12-pack-a- beers, or even Case-a-beers...

I agree his posts are a little out there today...

UPDATE: 90+ citations issued, more forthcoming.

Apparently, only 400 or so tags were sold for this hunt before opening day. When the herd was spotted, cell phones went into action, and 800+ tags were purchased after the season opened. The only good news is that F&G got it's targeted harvest, which was needed to aleviate overcrowding on that winter range.

F&G needs to remove the ability to purchase tags after a season has opened, and make late purchasers buy from the F&G office if they want to hunt, waiting 48 hours for the tag to be valid.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back