Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Idaho Huckleberry Check

idnative1948

One of my last *honey do's* before hunting season. Going to spend 4 nights at Warm Lake, but thinking of going up a day early and camping at Corral Creek Reservoir. Word has it that the berries are pretty good around West Mountain even though that is the other side from where we will be??

Week before last around our place in Oregon appears 60-70% of the plants had fungus so picking was less that great.

If gram has her huckleberry fix, then my life is good....

Good luck. No help to you, but the berries are great here in the Root. Hope you find some. mtmuley

can't speak for Idaho but I know part of MT has a poor crop due to the dry. We only hunted up a quart baggie out of a few spots that should have produced an ice cream bucketful. At the Missoula farmers market, huckleberries were going for $8/lb.

I just checked my spot yesterday here in MT and found that the berries are not quite ready and we're still a bit tart and bitter. Not the crop I saw last year but still a decent one. Going back to pick in two weeks and hoping to come home with two gallons or so. I was lucky enough to pick in both Idaho and Montana last year and came out with 4 gallons of goodness

A friend at work has been getting good berries the last two weekends on both West and East mtns.

I was near Deadwood Reservoir on July 12th and they were prime for the pickin. Which is early from my experience, usually August 1st seems to be prime time if I remember right.

Checked a spot along the ID / MT border last Thursday, total bust. The bushes were barren, I managed about two handfuls. Other areas I've been hiking along Bitterroot NF trails seem to be producing better. Unfortunately, last Thursday was my last chance to pick before leaving the state for awhile. Will have to settle for AK blueberries instead.

Back