Idaho Governor embraces collaboration, not transfer or sell

Oneye

http://www.idahostatesman.com/news/...s/letters-from-the-west/article126074139.html

Some western governors seem to be shaping up and singing a little better tune. Wyomings governor has came out against transferring the land and now Idaho's governor seems to have come around. If you live in Idaho I would thank your governor and let him know public lands are important and they should never be sold or transferred. Now if we could do something about our pesky Utah governor.

Last edited:
That's Otter, Bullock, Mead, Hickenlooper, Brown (OR), Brown (CA), Inslee (WA) that oppose.

That leaves Sandoval, Herbert & Martinez. Not sure where Ducey is.

Seems to me that the west has spoken on the issue, and by & large, we don't want transfer.

That "price lock" they have in there is pretty stupid if they want to raise any money over and above what they are taking in now and that is the whole reason to have fee increases!

The price lock is not stupid. IDFG data shows that over a five year period, 700k Idaho residents buy a license but annual sales only average 300k. The theory with PL is that the average amount of licenses sold will increase due to sportsmen taking advantage of PL. If the average goes from 300k to 350k or more, it was successful. Furthermore, the non-PL, non annual buyers (the remainders of the 700k) will buy at the higher rate.

Essentially, give a little to increase overall license sales.

The price lock is not stupid. IDFG data shows that over a five year period, 700k Idaho residents buy a license but annual sales only average 300k. The theory with PL is that the average amount of licenses sold will increase due to sportsmen taking advantage of PL. If the average goes from 300k to 350k or more, it was successful. Furthermore, the non-PL, non annual buyers (the remainders of the 700k) will buy at the higher rate.

Essentially, give a little to increase overall license sales.

Is that the new math you're using?! If a large percentage of the residents that hunt see that if they buy the 2017 license they will never have another price increase as long as they live how is that going to raise the overall income down the line? Sure, that may increase revenue the first year when a lot of people take advantage of the PL, but that will then level out when they can buy the same license every year for the same price. I would think that inflation alone would make that a losing deal within just a few years. Then what will they do to increase their income when all those people have that PL and costs keep going up?

they will never have another price increase as long as they live

Did you read the details before commenting?

How long will it last?
The Price Lock would remain in effect for at least three years. After that, the Price Lock will be subject to review by the Fish and Game Commission.

Learn about the proposal at https://idfg.idaho.gov/pricelock I'm glad to see a government agency looking at unique new ideas to solve financial problems.

On the original topic of this thread, I'm very glad to see Governor Otter's statements on public lands.

Is that the new math you're using?! If a large percentage of the residents that hunt see that if they buy the 2017 license they will never have another price increase as long as they live how is that going to raise the overall income down the line? Sure, that may increase revenue the first year when a lot of people take advantage of the PL, but that will then level out when they can buy the same license every year for the same price. I would think that inflation alone would make that a losing deal within just a few years. Then what will they do to increase their income when all those people have that PL and costs keep going up?

You're making a lot of assumptions. If no one ever saw a price increase, it would mean 700k licenses were sold, 133% sales increase. At that rate, IDFG could offer a discount and be ahead money.

Mea Culpa guys! I didn't know that there was even a link to read what you have now mentioned and I made a couple of assumptions that I shouldn't have. Shame on me and I apologize. After reading the article in the link that Paul posted in post #6 it appears that they may be onto something and if the PL is only good for three years and then will be examined to see if it was effective in doing what the article says, then I would have to say that maybe they have something up their sleeve that is rather unique and may work. Thanks for bringing me up to speed on PL and again I apologize for making the earlier assumptions without having all I needed to know before commenting!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back