Letter from Governor Otter on Sale of My Public Lands

JoseCuervo

If you go to http://sportsmensaccess.org/ you can blanket bomb an email to your US Rep, US Senators, Governor, and, in theory, State Legislature.

Quick and easy way to get a message out, and the message gets received.

Now, specific to Governor Otter, he is saying he is not advocating transfer of My Public Lands. But, wants the States to be involved in decisions.

To me, this is kind of a half&Half response. Not as good as the Montana Governor, far better than the Utah Governor.

It really shows he needs more and more persuasion to come out stronger, and to take a strong enough stand that he can influence other Idaho politicians to not entertain the idea. He is not there, yet. (and for those of you don't know Gov. Otter, years ago, he was one of the original Sagebrush Rebel-types. He has evolved a long way in the last 20-25 years.)

(Also, keep in mind, Gov. Otter won't be running for any more elections, so he is safe from intimidation, he is free to do what is right, just needs encouraged.)

Dear Jose,

Thank you for contacting me about the future of public lands in Idaho. I appreciate the opportunity to respond.

Idaho has an exemplary record of managing and protecting its natural resources. I truly believe that our own citizens and communities have the knowledge and civic virtue to ensure that our lands and resources are responsibly used for the economic and recreational opportunities they provide. While I am not advocating the transfer of federal lands to Idaho’s ownership or sole management, states should have the opportunity to be full and equal partners in decisions that affect the land, water, wildlife and other resources within their borders.

Idaho already is making great use of those rare opportunities where real collaboration with the states is encouraged by the federal government.

For example, Good Neighbor Authority granted under the 2014 Farm Bill invites Idaho to increase the pace and scale of forest and watershed restoration work on federal forests within our borders. Through agreements reached under the program, Idaho is playing a more active role in improving the health of our intermingled timberlands. That is reducing fuels and the threat to communities and watersheds from catastrophic wildfires, all while creating more jobs and benefitting our economies.

We should continue expanding on the efforts we’ve made so far to realize Idaho’s full potential by being active managers and local stewards without overly restrictive federal oversight.

Thank you again for contacting me, and please keep me informed of your opinion about this and any other State government issues of concern to you.

As Always – Idaho, “Esto Perpetua”
C.L. “Butch” Otter
Governor of Idaho

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back