Idaho fly fishing recommendation for September

TrickyTross

Going back to Idaho this fall for elk. While we are there, we are going to make it a point to fish around where we hunt, and possibly driving to a couple of other spots. My questions are; anyone else from east fish west at this time of year? What were the big differences? For the folks out there, what types of flies should I look at for that time? Anyone who would like to discuss areas to check out, feel free to pm me or if you would rather, I’d love to PM and ask some questions about places I’ve looked at in East, central and southeast Idaho. Happy Memorial Day everyone!

You didn't say what region or river but visit or email the "Idaho Fly Fishing Company" on-line if you are going to be around the St. Joe River Valley. Super helpful for the St. Joe River. Will put together a package of flies depending on your budget and time of year. The owner is a life long resident of the area and has no problems giving tips, tricks and areas of the St. Joe to fish during specific times of year.

I would visit a local fly shop when you get to town. They will sell you the flies that you need and give you the latest intel.
That is part of our game plan for sure!!

Had an experience with a shop in the past that was not helpful since we were not looking for a guide. I know that you can’t judge all the shops/outfitters like this. But after that education, and with the current sentiment for NR, I figured I’d reach out. What fly rod weight would you recommend? I have a 4wt, but heard some folks say that they wouldn’t go with anything less than a 5

You didn't say what region or river but visit or email the "Idaho Fly Fishing Company" on-line if you are going to be around the St. Joe River Valley. Super helpful for the St. Joe River. Will put together a package of flies depending on your budget and time of year. The owner is a life long resident of the area and has no problems giving tips, tricks and areas of the St. Joe to fish during specific times of year.
Thanks boss!!! Wasn’t gonna give up any River or stream names, past experiences has showed that to not be well received. I will def look them up!!!

That is part of our game plan for sure!!

Had an experience with a shop in the past that was not helpful since we were not looking for a guide. I know that you can’t judge all the shops/outfitters like this. But after that education, and with the current sentiment for NR, I figured I’d reach out. What fly rod weight would you recommend? I have a 4wt, but heard some folks say that they wouldn’t go with anything less than a 5
For many small streams/creeks a 4 should be fine, river fishing is probably want a 5-7 depending on location and potential fish size. Any decent selection of dry’s should serve you well. I’ve never found fish to be super picky unless there is a very specific hatch they’re targeting or it a really, really hard fished stream

If you come to the Pocatello area, I would stop by SRF (Snake River Fly) and talk to Larry if he's available, he knows a lot about the rivers from the Henrys Fork down to the Bear.

Back