PEAX Equipment

Idaho Falls living

Yooper906

In need of advice/help to convince my wife to move to Idaho Falls area, it’s gonna be an uphill battle. I’ve done lots of research of the area, but didn’t know if some HT members have some local knowledge that might help. Thanks!

We go down to Idaho Falls for the weekend occasionally. It’s just as close to us as any of the bigger towns except Bozeman. My wife and daughter love it because of the shopping. Apparently they have some stores that Bozeman doesn’t, I couldn’t tell you which ones. They have a Sportsman's warehouse and Cabela’s, which is where my son and I hang out. They also have a Chick-fil-A which is a big deal for my wife and kids. The river walk around the falls area is really cool. I can’t speak to the hunting, but I’m sure there’s some close by with mountains in every direction.

We go down to Idaho Falls for the weekend occasionally. It’s just as close to us as any of the bigger towns except Bozeman. My wife and daughter love it because of the shopping. Apparently they have some stores that Bozeman doesn’t, I couldn’t tell you which ones. They have a Sportsman's warehouse and Cabela’s, which is where my son and I hang out. They also have a Chick-fil-A which is a big deal for my wife and kids. The river walk around the falls area is really cool. I can’t speak to the hunting, but I’m sure there’s some close by with mountains in every direction.
Thanks for the info! Neither one of us have been out there before, but we plan on making a trip soon. Can you see mountains from the town?

Where are you moving from? Without that information, it's kind of hard to know who is right, between you and your wife. Moving to Idaho Falls from LA? That's a no-brainer. Moving to Idaho Falls from any place in Montana? Not so much. :LOL::LOL:

That area is right in the middle of some fantastic country. It's been on my short list looking for property. Unfortunately it is extremely picked over and what is left is extremely over priced. Things could change but not in the short run.

Winter can be rough. I lived about 30 minutes from IF for 5 years and of those years 3 winters were downright brutal. Long, cold, snowy just yuck. Culturally Idaho falls is kinda weird, the recent growth has helped some I’m sure but it can be a bit unwelcoming to those that don’t fit the cultural mold. From an outdoor rec standpoint it’s pretty darn good

Thanks for the info! Neither one of us have been out there before, but we plan on making a trip soon. Can you see mountains from the town?
I think you may be able to see the Tetons from IF on a clear day, but they are pretty far off in the distance. Pocatello, a bit further to the south, is nestled up against some mountains.

I’m kind of confused by this question honestly. If neither of you have been there, why are you convinced you want to move there?

Just some food for thought, because it’s kind of crazy how many times I’ve seen people waste a bunch of money and a couple of years moving to someplace based on unrealistic expectations, spend 2 or 3 years being miserable because it wasn’t what they thought it would be, then spend a bunch more money to move somewhere else. I would strongly recommend visiting a few times (summer and winter) before you decide whether you want to live there.

Where are you moving from? Without that information, it's kind of hard to know who is right, between you and your wife. Moving to Idaho Falls from LA? That's a no-brainer. Moving to Idaho Falls from any place in Montana? Not so
Haha UP in Michigan

Winter can be rough. I lived about 30 minutes from IF for 5 years and of those years 3 winters were downright brutal. Long, cold, snowy just yuck. Culturally Idaho falls is kinda weird, the recent growth has helped some I’m sure but it can be a bit unwelcoming to those that don’t fit the cultural mold. From an outdoor rec standpoint it’s pretty darn good
No strangers to winters. We have brutal winters in the UP

[QUOTE="Hunting Wife, post: 3163451, member: 25969" I would strongly recommend visiting a few times (summer and winter) before you decide whether you want to live there.
[/QUOTE]

@Hunting Wife is spot on for most any moves of this nature. Not all places are what Sunset Magazine & Better Homes and Gardens are selling...esp. in the winter. And don’t be lulled by the fact that you may live in a place that “gets snow” to living in it in another place. Hell we’ve been getting snow since Oct but you’d have to beat me to live where lake effect snow is an annual guarantee! Visit every chance you get in multiple seasons👍🏻

Like someone else said, on a clear day, but it’s not a mountain town. Pocatello is much more scenic if that’s what you’re looking for. Rexburg would also put you closer to the mountains.

Dai
I’m kind of confused by this question honestly. If neither of you have been there, why are you convinced you want to move there?

Just some food for thought, because it’s kind of crazy how many times I’ve seen people waste a bunch of money and a couple of years moving to someplace based on unrealistic expectations, spend 2 or 3 years being miserable because it wasn’t what they thought it would be, then spend a bunch more money to move somewhere else. I would strongly recommend visiting a few times (summer and winter) before you decide whether you want to live there.
Fair enough. However, the opportunity to move to IF has came up for the field I’m in. Just trying to gain knowledge, we plan on visiting soon. Thanks!

I'd second that motion about going there in the winter and not just basing your decision on what it's like in summer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back