Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Idaho elk unit 10-A

twolfd3

anyone know much about this area? be hunting it opening week rifle season. any info is greatly appreciated

Twolf, do you know just where in 10A you're hunting?? That's a pretty good sized unit... or at least, the country up there is pretty big... and rugged... and thick.

Are you going to be hunting with an outfitter?

On foot? Horses?

I hunted up there several years ago, north of Headquarters. We went back in for 22 miles on horses. Where we were, in the Mallard Larkin area, there were some good bulls, but hard to get next to, because so much of that country is very thick with trees, brush, etc., with very steep mountains.

If you're gonna hunt in that area north of the Clearwater, north/northeast of Headquarters, most of your shots would be fairly close, although you might find a few finger ridges where you'd get a 200/300 yard shot. I had a very nice six point bull come within 20 yards of me, and no matter what I did, I never could see hide nor hair of that elk, after the first glimpse of him. I could hear him, that close, but not see him.

That area has been down in elk populations, recently, but there was not a hard winter this year, so shouldn't be a heavy winter kill.

Good luck. L.W.

we are hunting the north end of the Dwarshack Resv where the clearwater empties into the resv. Granddad Bridage area i believe. thanks for the reply

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back