Idaho Elk Hunters

HowaHunter

Hey folks. I am narrowing down where I am going to take some friends elk hunting this year (GENERAL TAGS). Ready for a change from the normal spots. I know this may change based on the possible new tag format for Idaho. If you were starting fresh which area would you choose to pick up a tag and go? I have done some new research and am fairly familiar with all areas. Just wondering if any of you have any experiences in these zones or if you were starting fresh where would your finger land on the map? So in now way is this one of those first posts that ask where all the elk are located.

1. Island Park Zone-General Spike Tag- Low harvest but I love the country
2. Tex Creek Zone- Seven Day War with Bull Tag, Pretty sure I can get away from people
3. Bear River Zone- General tag
4. Your honey hole- AhHahaha j/k

I don't have any trouble finding elk in bear river zone or island park zone usually.its easier to avoid locals in IP.

I would say Salmon zone would be where I would pick up and move to.if I wanted a change in scenery/hunting area. Long season for B tag and its limited general.

Worst part of IP in my opinion is trying to find a legit spike. My experience was lots of non legal yearling bulls to find one that is a true spike. It only gets tougher if its in the brush or at a distance. Not much competition though, I don't think its really that popular. Tex Creek can be good and if you think you can get away from people who knows what you might be able to find. Any reason not to consider Pallisades?

Bear River bull numbers have been down, but it is a good unit to harvest a cow.

That said, the counts can be deceptive. There isn't much winter range so a lot of the elk that you would be hunting will move out and get counted elsewhere. For example, separate hunters found 2 elk last fall sporting Utah ear tags that were obtained 50 miles to the south on a winter feedground.

The unit can also be tough for first time hunters. There is a lot of good looking elk country with very few elk, and a few areas with big herds. This makes it difficult to scout from Google Earth. Most of the elk tend to hang out in a handful of drainages. Hunters that know these drainages love the zone.

Thanks for the info. keep it coming. I appreciate every bit.
Ardrhi. they were found 50 miles south in Utah I suppose?

Ardrhi. they were found 50 miles south in Utah I suppose?

The elk were tagged at Hardware Ranch near Logan, UT and hunters reported them near Grace. One was shot by an archery hunter. The other was showing up on a trailcam, but I don't think it was ever shot.

Last edited:
Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwaller4449
Back