Yeti GOBOX Collection

Idaho Cow Elk Unit 66 (November 1-15): Advice Needed

NorCal Hunter

Hello Everyone,
I drew a cow elk tag for unit 66 and unit 66a (Nov 1-15). I'm driving in from out of state to hunt November 1-5, and have never hunted in Idaho before. I'm a meat hunter (hence drawing cow tag). After speaking to biologist out of Idaho Falls I was told to consider hunting around McCoy Creek, then progress northwest towards Tex Creek Wildlife Refuge if I'm not seeing anything around McCoy Creek. As a fairly new hunter I have a number of questions and hope some of you experienced hunters will have some suggestions for me. Appreciate very much any help you can provide!

-Anyone know an outfitter who can set up a camp (with wood stove) for me? I'm hunting solo and do not have good enough winter weather tent/stove... (If not, any hotels nearby I can use as a base?)

-Anyone hunt this unit previously and have thoughts on areas I might focus on for cow elk?

-I'm hunting solo. Brown bears in this area?

Any and all advice greatly appreciated. Thank you!

How was your hunt? I see no one replied.. I am looking at hunting that general area next fall.

It’s not impossible to encounter Grizzlies in this unit but there is a low density at best and likely not a resident population.

How did your hunt go? (I mostly just wanted to comment on the bear question - this looks like a one hit wonder post to me).

I'd like to know how his Hunt went and if he stuck to what the biologist gave him for advice. My son and I plan to hunt this fall in the same area.

What would you like to know? I'm a die hard hunter. My oldest son is 22 years old. He enjoys hunting. Probably not as crazy about it as I am, but he and his brother were fed lots of game growing up. We plan on hunting Unit 66 in Idaho. Never been there before. I've been E-scouting with maps and more maps. I've also conversed with two other hunters from two other forums threads. I received some great info to help us decide how to approach this new area. I'm unable to pre-scout it due to travel distance. I grew up in Southern Idaho, hunted since I was knee high to a rock chuck. I work in law enforcement. Get only one decent vacation a year and was hoping to make the best of a blind entry. Granted this was not my first choice for a Non-res OTC tag. Idaho's virtual waiting room and position number you aquire on Dec 1st and this is what I ended up with. Unit 66 was my 3rd choice since everything else was snatched up fast. However my son, who somehow got 1600+ people ahead of me in line was able to secure a Bull and Buck tag. I was only able to lock down a Buck tag. Tex Creek bull and two Unit 66 bucks. We'll sure as heck make the best of it. Even going in blind. If we connect with other hunters familiar with the area, outstanding! If not oh well. One hand washes the other right? What more about me and my son would you like to know?

What would you like to know? I'm a die hard hunter. My oldest son is 22 years old. He enjoys hunting. Probably not as crazy about it as I am, but he and his brother were fed lots of game growing up. We plan on hunting Unit 66 in Idaho. Never been there before. I've been E-scouting with maps and more maps. I've also conversed with two other hunters from two other forums threads. I received some great info to help us decide how to approach this new area. I'm unable to pre-scout it due to travel distance. I grew up in Southern Idaho, hunted since I was knee high to a rock chuck. I work in law enforcement. Get only one decent vacation a year and was hoping to make the best of a blind entry. Granted this was not my first choice for a Non-res OTC tag. Idaho's virtual waiting room and position number you aquire on Dec 1st and this is what I ended up with. Unit 66 was my 3rd choice since everything else was snatched up fast. However my son, who somehow got 1600+ people ahead of me in line was able to secure a Bull and Buck tag. I was only able to lock down a Buck tag. Tex Creek bull and two Unit 66 bucks. We'll sure as heck make the best of it. Even going in blind. If we connect with other hunters familiar with the area, outstanding! If not oh well. One hand washes the other right? What more about me and my son would you like to know?
I am fairly familiar with the area you are going. PM me, maybe I can help.

Dude hasn’t been back since he asked for help 2 years ago.
He's probably still at the South fork/Deadman trail Junction trying to figure out who put trail markers on that tree with different information on either side... lol... I love southern Idaho. Beautiful scenery, most folks never venture away from the roads, and the weather is unpredictable. It took me a few years trying to figure out how to hunt 66, ive got it down to a science now118195 (1).jpeg118166 (1).jpeg118180.jpeg118182.jpeg118183.jpeg118179.jpeg118162.jpeg

Are you taking horses, atv's , or hoofing it on foot?
Leaving daily from a basecamp and returning every evening, or staying in the field for the duration?
How many days can you stay?
On foot, probably spike camp. Staying in the field. Stay 3-4 days a outing.

He's probably still at the South fork/Deadman trail Junction trying to figure out who put trail markers on that tree with different information on either side... lol... I love southern Idaho. Beautiful scenery, most folks never venture away from the roads, and the weather is unpredictable. It took me a few years trying to figure out how to hunt 66, ive got it down to a science nowView attachment 240570View attachment 240571View attachment 240572View attachment 240573View attachment 240574View attachment 240575View attachment 240576
Country looks good.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wyohandscold
Back