Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Idaho capped elk zone tags - Who got 'em?

Huntin' Fool

Bought a Salmon B - Haven't hunted it before - Got the sheep tag there so plenty of time to scout for elk.

Both me and my wife got Salmon B tags as well. Put a wolf tag in your pocket. We are planning a bear hunt/scouting trip in September. If we see any sheep I'll try to find you.

Bought one this year for the first time after seeing large antlered bulls running around when I was hunting sheep a couple years ago. I am officially done with school on Wednesday and will have some extra free time this fall so I intend on buying a non resident A tag for the panhandle as well.

I got a Sawtooth B tag. It'll be my first ever elk hunt. So, I'm lurking in this section trying to learn everything I can.

I have a Salmon B tag. I'll be down that way next weekend doing my first trip of the year omw to WY.

Was quick enough on the draw to get a Sawtooth A tag. Looking forward to seeing what Sept brings!

They should make em draw

Idk if that's the answer, maybe it is. I'm not sure. I would hate to have to draw for an OTC type quality hunt. The Sawtooth is fun, I've killed bulls in there (not a lot) and there are good holes with limited pressure and good numbers. But there are few good bulls and there are also holes with literally no elk. Would just hate to have to draw for a glorified 5x5 hunt.

They could make the sawtooths a controlled hunt with similar tag numbers to what the current quotas are. Would be interesting to see what the draw odds would be and if it would effect other controlled hunt draw odds. As it is now its kind of a mess, glad its not a zone I've been trying/planning to hunt.

Sawtooth
I only got it because I've been working in those units for a few weeks every summer since '06 and I always be sayin "Some year I'm a gonna hunt elks here"...so this is my year.

Sawtooth going to draw
- I reckon it would be a 50%ish draw
- Meaning that's roughly 4,000 people that won't be putting in for other controlled hunts ;)
- Also I think we can throw the "but my familia has been going on that hunt for years and if it's made into a draw we won't be able to go every year" out the window
- The fact is that the odds of an entire hunting party (you, your cousin, uncle Joe and Grandpa Bill) all acquiring a tag within the 37 second time frame their available aren't very good anyway

Sawtooth is below objective on elk numbers and is an average tag at best.

IDFG should open the sale of the CAP tags before the big game draws and remove those who buy tags from drawing eligibility.

I think all capped zone should be draw with that many tags... let general seasons be general seasons also helps some hunts draw odds and if not all tags are filled sell leftovers on same first come first serve basis we have now. I got kicked out while trying to buy my Sawtooth A tag as I was putting in card info I got booted from site so, I may be a little sour haha just found some real nice bulls up that way... at least dad has a rifle tag.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back