Idaho Bull Moose Help

mossyhorn

I drew a bull moose tag for Unit 44/48--Unit 44 East of Fairfield and unit 48 west of Hwy 75. I know the odds of talking with someone that has actually hunted moose in these units maybe slim, but thought someone out there who has hunted other game in those units might be able to give me a shove in the right direction. I have started my research by contacting the local biologist and conservation officer but I can use all the help I can get. I have hunted deer in Unit 48 so I am familiar with the area--Just trying to pinpoint an area where the moose density is greatest. Thanks in advance to anyone that has some advice to share.

Although this is my first post at Hunt Talk I have been visiting the site for a couple of years. I think it is a great site and appreciate everyone that posts their stories and photos.

John
A.K.A Mossyhorn

I find it odd that everyone has been looking at this site for years but never say much until they need help finding a place to hunt

"Although this is my first post at Hunt Talk I have been visiting the site for a couple of years. I think it is a great site and appreciate everyone that posts their stories and photos"

Good luck john hope to hear form you more often. As for your hunt I know nothing of those units when it comes to moose hunting

Muley Crazy,

I just wanted to thank you for your reply and let you know what I find odd--that my first post is greeted with sarcasm and a scolding. That is exactly why I hesitate posting on these forums.

That being said, I am not trying to get in a war of words with anyone. I was just looking for some advice from someone that may know these units better than me or someone that has some experience hunting moose. My post is just a small part of my research for this hunt.

I still enjoy and appreciate this site and the knowledge people share. If I read a post on here that I know a response from me would be beneficial to someone I will not hesitate to post.

If I offended anyone else due to my lack of posts I apologize.

John

I just wanted to thank you for your reply and let you know what I find odd--that my first post is greeted with sarcasm and a scolding

if you have been lurking for a couple years you should be well aware of the way things work rite-round-yonder. If I had some help for you I would gladly give it.....best I can do for you is to bump the post with another sarcastic reply......good luck Mossyhorn.

John, do you have any ideas as of where you want to hunt? I know that area well and will give you any help possible. I don't see many moose on 48, have you seen or heard there are some?

I'm not familiar with that area either. But your lack of posting wouldn't effect my reply.

Tell me who scolded you and I'll kick her A$$ :D :D (Unless it was me them let me e-splain.... ;))

Good luck amigo, I'll do some snooping for ya !!

Alright John now you made me feel like a jerk. I love this web site because of all of the ID hunters that are on it you included. I have 2 videos on how to call moose they are VERY good and would be helpful to you PM me and I can get them to You.They were very helpful when I hunted moose in AK

Congrats on drawing a bullwinkle tag! I have spent quite a bit of time in those areas and have seen moose in both. Some spots you would be wasting your time, others have good moose numbers. Hope you have lots of buddies going with you. Think packing an elk out times 4. I'm sure you've hunted elk but some of that country can be darn steep without many roads. I'd love to help, PM me and I'll give you some spots to look.
- Coop

Thanks to all that have viewed and responded to my message. Coop and Thunder, thank you for the offers to share info on the area--I have sent you both private messages. Moosie, I appreciate your willingness to do some snooping for me. Muley Crazy, that is very cool to offer the use of your videos--I may take you up on the offer. I too have a couple of videos on moose hunting, bought them as soon as I heard I drew. I appreciate you sending me a second response! Again, I want to thank everyone--it is great to be able to come to a site like this and be able to give and get information. Good luck to all those in the upcoming Idaho Elk, Deer and Antelope draw.

See you in the field!

John

John grab a bear tag on your way. There are a lot of BIG bear in 48. Oh grab a wolf tag also, if they are all sold out just shoot one anyway and turn it in next year. Well shoot all you see and don't ever speak of it.

Mossyhorn I live here in bellevue and Iam all over both of these units all the time I would be more than happy to fill you in on anything I see over the summer. WW

I haven't been out Deer Creek yet but will be going this week.Trail Creek is open so I would imagine deer creek is also.Mossy I plan on lookig over deer creek because a buddy who is a lion hunter said he saw a nice bull in there this winter but also cut fresh wolf tracks.I hope the bastards didn't get him!!:BLEEP:

W.W.,

Thanks, that's a great offer! You can also bet I'll have a wolf tag in my wallet. Again, I want to thank everyone for viewing my post and also those that have responded. I know the season is three months away but with the advice of everyone here on Hunt Talk I'm feeling pretty good about the hunt.

Mossyhorn

congrates i also drew a tag for that same area and have talk to some people about the hunt and they all tell me to look for them in the desert area is were they have seen and harvested in that area

mrwill,

Great to actually hear from someone else that drew this tag--there is only 4 of us! Maybe we can help each other out--I sent you an email.

John

I was in Deercreek over the weekend. I didn't see any moose but I did kill a nice bear in Kinsley Creek.

Attachments

• nick 2.jpg
    nick 2.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 1,197
  • nick 3.jpg
    nick 3.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 1,203
  • nick logan 2.jpg
    nick logan 2.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 1,194
  • nick logan 4.jpg
    nick logan 4.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 1,163
Great bear Thunder--I really like the color! Good looking group of dogs also, they sure look intense. As a kid in Oklahoma I hunted alot of coons behind hounds, it was always a great time. Thanks for posting the pictures.

Back