Caribou Gear Tarp

Idaho Boise River B Tag (Unit 39)

Ironworker515

My hunting partner and I will be in Idaho this coming fall, we both got a Boise River B tag. It wasn't our first choice but it was one that we both could get with our number in line. I have read a lot about this being a highly hunted area. We are not afraid to pack in and get away from roads and people.

I've hunted deer there. You are correct. There are a ton of people. You should get a motorized vehicle map from the first service so you can become familiar with where atvs and motorcycles can go so you can get an idea of where people will be if you want to avoid them.

Borderline impossible to get away from people. I hunted it back in the 90's and early 2000's and wouldn't see anyone for days. Those days are long gone. Good elk population, if you are willing to glass, burn some boot leather and have a little luck you can do ok.

It is beautiful country…

That’s for sure.

It’ll be interesting to see if over pressure will impact it. I went looking elsewhere for a spot based on my cousin who lives out there and what he’s seen. He even found some place else.

I'll add my .2 even though it late. I know someone with horse that is very successful in 39. I know an old guy that does the muzzy cow hunt and is also successful- though not as well as the guy with horses. I don't hunt 39, but I have thought about putting in for the cow tag- but for the scouting of a new area... I'll say this- if you plan to do anything like a road hunt to include day hunt walkabout- orange yes success based on luck alone. If you're willing to work and bivy or pack in and hunt then I think you've got a shot. I too would like to know how things went... I was hunting north of there this year- hiked, drove hunting our butts off and were lucky to see a few cows. Then in Nov during the muzzy season I saw about a 100 cows in 5-10 a group all over and still the bulls seem to be up high- I had a muley tag at that point.

I'll add my .2 even though it late. I know someone with horse that is very successful in 39. I know an old guy that does the muzzy cow hunt and is also successful- though not as well as the guy with horses. I don't hunt 39, but I have thought about putting in for the cow tag- but for the scouting of a new area... I'll say this- if you plan to do anything like a road hunt to include day hunt walkabout- orange yes success based on luck alone. If you're willing to work and bivy or pack in and hunt then I think you've got a shot. I too would like to know how things went... I was hunting north of there this year- hiked, drove hunting our butts off and were lucky to see a few cows. Then in Nov during the muzzy season I saw about a 100 cows in 5-10 a group all over and still the bulls seem to be up high- I had a muley tag at that point.
How did your November muley hunt go?

OP, I tagged along with my brother and a friend in 2015. Like @T Bone said, once we got off the road a ways, we saw very few other hunters.

Lots of elk to be found with some local knowledge, hard work and some luck.

300-340 bulls come out of that thick Idaho City country. I know one guy that makes hay, consistently. He timber pounds very thick timber, at a snails pace. Fresh snow, better yet. In my experience, post rut herd bulls don’t stand out in the open above the middle fork during Nov. Especially after the unit 39 deer gauntlet that starts 8/15.

If you’re looking for a meat bull, hunt decently hard and you’ll fill the tag.

How did your November muley hunt go?

OP, I tagged along with my brother and a friend in 2015. Like @T Bone said, once we got off the road a ways, we saw very few other hunters.
Ran into a little 3 point as I was trying to get to a 4pt. The 4pt was behind a bunch of private land that I was trying to figure out how to hike around and get behind, and he seemed to know the property boundary line. So I got lazy and filled my freezer, but as they say I would have shot him on the last day so I'm glad I didn't eat another tag.

My hunting partner and I will be in Idaho this coming fall, we both got a Boise River B tag. It wasn't our first choice but it was one that we both could get with our number in line. I have read a lot about this being a highly hunted area. We are not afraid to pack in and get away from roads and people.
Overall, it is a good unit. It is vast and has a good mix of roads, trails, and steep roadless areas. The elk population is decent. That being said, it does have some downfalls. The season is short so everyone is in the mountains at the same time. It is near Idaho's biggest population center so you will have company. The elk season follows a three week deer season so everything is pretty-well stirred up by opening day. However, success can be had. Scout, have a plan that includes several backup plans, and be flexible. The elk are there.

Elk season in places up there is a war zone next to roads.

Locals have it figured out. Horses/camping in back country is a better option if you can find someone with horses.

Good luck.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back