Caribou Gear Tarp

Idaho Abortion Clinic

BigHornRam

Some picks of Clearwater elk with their fetus removed and little else ate. Could post many more but you get the point. One cow was still alive with fetus removed. Good luck keeping this unit open to elk in the near future Idaho. Thanks USFWS for turning down Idaho's wolf cull proposal.....guess we can just let nature take it's course.

Attachments

• fetus1.jpg
    fetus1.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 406
  • fetus3.jpg
    fetus3.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 403
  • fetus5.jpg
    fetus5.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 435
I am going to ask this question and probally get hell.

bears lions and yotes do the same thing and have been for years on antelope deer and other critters. why is it such a big deal with wolves?
I don't get it seems everyone has a hard on about wolves.

I personally think its more of hunters thinking they will have more compitition.

no I am not a wolf lover either.

Delw

They have been around for awhile....still pretty sad though. It's gonna get a lot worse before it gets better. Or should I say HAS gotten worse.

A lot of pictures I got were dated spring of 06, so there is some current material. All the pictures showed a large amount of wasted meat. If human hunters did this you guys would be outraged. So would I. Pickings are good on the concentrated winter range. So good that the wolves can waste meat like this. How much longer before the elk season will be closed in this area (at least to humans)?

Without taking sides, let me see if I have this right.
Wolves are killing pregnant cow elk and only eating the fetus?

I can see paw prints in the snow around the carcasses. Typical of the "noble predator, the wolf" to scarf down the choice, most tender parts and leave the rest for the scavengers. Same with the protected lions we have out here. So much for the tolerance we extend to an unwanted poacher we hunters have no choice other than to embrace with a death-grip embellished to kill BOTH of us.
I dare someone to round up any wolf kills you find and drag them to your congressman's house and strategically stack them on his or her's walkway.

BHR,

Maybe if the local rednecks would keep their sleds on designated routes...and not run the wolves off their kills they'd eat more of the carcass?

Do you expect the wolves to stand around and eat a dead elk while the locals sit there swilling old English and throwing their empty 40 oz bottles at them?

BHR,

Maybe if the local rednecks would keep their sleds on designated routes...and not run the wolves off their kills they'd eat more of the carcass?

Do you expect the wolves to stand around and eat a dead elk while the locals sit there swilling old English and throwing their empty 40 oz bottles at them?

I'd say that Wolves will and do return to finish off some of these animals but there is no doubt they also find many Elk like this that were old and Wolves did not return promptly at all to feed on them.
Some of these kills look pretty fresh but I've seen more than enough uneaten Elk to know Wolves do kill for sport.

Just curious...when you come across the old carcass of an elk, deer, etc., how do you determine that wolves killed them?

A-con,

Just like when Brown Bears have a good salmon run, they go for the choice parts, skin and head, and waste the rest. On a bad salmon year they eat every last bit. Wolves aren't any different. In the days of the great bison herds, humans took they hide and maybe the tongue. It's not that way anymore for obvious reasons. That there are less sport kills by wolves in the last few years just proves that there are less elk to go around in the Clearwater.

MNHunter,

You didn't draw a Wyoming elk tag....why not buy an Idaho Clearwater Elk tag.....while you still can.

Buzz,

Is the North Fork road closed to snowmobiling? I thought the "local rednecks" just did the 3 S thing, now you say they just throw bottles at them?

"Just curious...when you come across the old carcass of an elk, deer, etc., how do you determine that wolves killed them?"

Got a point there Buzz. Based on how the Nez Perce "harvested" their Yellowstone Bison this winter, it could be them as well.

The way that I have allways "determined" wolf kills was to look at the tracks leading up to the carcass. If there was more than one animal, and a little knowledge about size and shape of track gives you a very legitimate guess. Note I said guess, because if you didn't see the kill happen it makes it a little tougher to be 100% sure. The only questionable thing in my mind would be the difference between coyote and wolf, and every Wolf along with its tracks hat I have seen have been hands down bigger. Again though 100%.

BHR,

The local rednecks like to talk tough when drunk on old english about the 3 S's...the reality is, they'd rather spend their money on cheap booze than ammo...so they settle on throwing their empty bottles at the wolves.

BHR,

The local rednecks like to talk tough when drunk on old english about the 3 S's...the reality is, they'd rather spend their money on cheap booze than ammo...so they settle on throwing their empty bottles at the wolves.

Come on Buzz. You know Local Rednecks like the Bud long necks as their weapon of choice due to the higher B.C. of the long neck bottles. :D

MNHunter,

You didn't draw a Wyoming elk tag....why not buy an Idaho Clearwater Elk tag.....while you still can.

I have a few planned hunts to do this year so any draw tag is a bonus. Never thought about hunting ID, maybe I will in the future. I'm certainly not going to run out and by an elk tag in ID for fear of the wolves wiping them out though. Besides, I'm gonna draw a sheep tag this year :D

Back