Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Idaho 2023

Maybe if they implemented some kind of system where people could log on for an extended period, perhaps a month, and fill out a form for the tags they're interested in. That would alleviate the server overload issues.

Then Idaho could take those forms and randomly select winners from them in a predetermined time frame, perhaps a week. That would solve the department and vendor overload issues.

But where would they ever find such a system?

You're putting A LOT of faith in a system you can't watch work. If there is this many errors and problems on something you can witness can you imagine what happens when they compile and "Randomly" draw from hundreds of thousands of applications?

I partially agree though. I forsee all nonresident tags being draw only eventually. I just wish the process was a little more transparent.

Maybe if they implemented some kind of system where people could log on for an extended period, perhaps a month, and fill out a form for the tags they're interested in. That would alleviate the server overload issues.

Then Idaho could take those forms and randomly select winners from them in a predetermined time frame, perhaps a week. That would solve the department and vendor overload issues.

But where would they ever find such a system?
Right?! Admittedly my frustration at this is basically in the “Old man yells at cloud” category, but nothing works in this country anymore. My truck lost 4wd and the dealership can’t look at it until January! WTF? All I can do is laugh. Nobody can make and execute the simplest stuff anymore.

ID system is (has been) broken for a while. why stick with it? Are they attached to this OTC concept? Is there a legislative reason? Makes zero sense to me. They had 67,000 people try to get 27,000 tags. Funny part is some members say they gave up on ID because of last price increase. WY says “hold my beer….” As someone else said…this is crazy.

Honest question - are ID NR prices that far out of line with other western states? $185 for liscense and $650 for an elk tag doesn’t seem so horribly expensive.

Plus
Meh, they are in line, +/-10%
Everybody got used to the under priced licenses and abundance of tags. I'm NR hunter and I approve of the IDFG changes, just not the online licensing system.
They still have some grossly stupid mistakes/oversights in the pricing if you know what to look for, but I'm not going to divulge that on here.

Trying to think of creative solutions to help. What about if you draw a tag then you cannot reapply the following year.

Trying to think of creative solutions to help. What about if you draw a tag then you cannot reapply the following year.
Sorry, but lower applicant volume doesn’t solve the problem. The problem is they make the customer wait. You get in the waiting room and get a number. That number determines how long you wait, but there is no way to accurately estimate. ID can’t tell them how long- Maybe an hour, maybe 9 hrs!!! You can’t treat your customer that way in almost any other business. People have lives. Stuff to do.
They basically turned trying to get a tag into a process like the ER waiting room at the hospital.

We still have the opportunity to. With all the NR's snatching up the OTC tags, then applying for controlled hunts, then turning back in their OTC tags... creates lots of opportunity for the first come first serve list.
I had two bull and two deer tags this year. Lots of returned NR tags available in the summer. I get to buy them at the grandfathered price.

Sorry, but lower applicant volume doesn’t solve the problem. The problem is they make the customer wait. You get in the waiting room and get a number. That number determines how long you wait, but there is no way to accurately estimate. ID can’t tell them how long- Maybe an hour, maybe 9 hrs!!! You can’t treat your customer that way in almost any other business. People have lives. Stuff to do.
They basically turned trying to get a tag into a process like the ER waiting room at the hospital.
It actually could be days if your number was 35K, like mine was. Of course I said f it who is going to wait days? What a joke.

They need to make it a draw for NR’s asap.

I feel bad knowing NR’s are losing sleep across the country trying for tags in units that you couldn’t give me for free. Literally. There are prettier units to take your family camping in. The hysteria and fear of missing out this system has created is sad. There are maybe 10 otc mule deer units worth a chit in the state of Idaho, there are 190” bucks in those units. But they are selling wolf tickets in the other 68 units for $600. So don’t feel bad if you got shafted by this bullchit system.

I know that’s not a very optimistic take, but it’s the truth. You can come out here and camp and fish in some of the most beautiful and rugged mountains in the country, for free, and have a more enjoyable experience.

I’m not against a draw but how do you do it?

Two draws - one for OTC tags then one for the normal control hunts?

Current control hunt draw has R and NR combined and does not guarantee 10% tag allotment to NRs. ISFG would need to correct the issue. Have a second draw for R only.

I think demand will drop significantly if a draw is created. Some units won’t meet minimum tag numbers. Lots of leftover tags.

I’m not against a draw but how do you do it?

Two draws - one for OTC tags then one for the normal control hunts?

Current control hunt draw has R and NR combined and does not guarantee 10% tag allotment to NRs. ISFG would need to correct the issue. Have a second draw for R only.

I think demand will drop significantly if a draw is created. Some units won’t meet minimum tag numbers. Lots of leftover tags.
I truly don’t think it’s that hard. Make it the exact same time as other draws and add hunt codes to every non res general tag. They would get to make that choice of applying for a controlled tag as a first choice or general. I’d be fine with letting non res have 3-4 choices on an application. I’m also pretty confident a bunch of general tags would be left after a draw and then sell those first come first serve. I’d also be totally cool if the application period for everything was a March-April time frame.

I think you could easily do it with the draw system already in place, but with some tweaks. On the NR application do first/second choice controlled hunt, and first/second choice OTC. Maybe set up a tier system since all the OTC tags will now be controlled tags. Tier 1 for current draw tags, tier 2 for current OTC. As @brymoore pointed out do a guaranteed 10% NR draw for each Tier 1 hunt - on hunts with less than 10 tags do a guaranteed NR tag every other year.

June comes around the NR fill out their apps, if they draw tier 1 - congrats; if not into the tier 2 lottery. No luck on tier 2 - sorry about the crap luck.

Resident draws run concurrently, same as right now, resident OTC tags go on sale afterwards same as currently.

No points. No BS waiting rooms. No BS online system from Florida.

Talking with a former F&G commissioner they know the system sucks as is, and there’s lots of pressure to fix it. He’s glad he’s out of the hot seat. Now the hard part is getting the legislature to follow suit if the game commissioners recommend changes.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back