Idaho 2023

Managed to grab a DAV general deer tag, which I missed on last year. Did not get an elk tag, and was going to pay full non-res prices, but my top seven zone choices were all gone. I am more fortunate than most with the deer tag it sounds like, and very excited about it! But man oh man did I want that elk tag. Really took for granted those years we always got them without worry.
Keep an eye on the returned tag list when it comes out.

Panhandle, Lolo A and Lolo B elk tags left just now.

At what point does a Draw make sense, even if it is random? Perhaps just a draw for a spot in line?

"Despite anticipating and planning for this high demand..."

Thanks for the apology. Here's a suggestion. Seeing as how you planned for something that actually happened and still failed miserably, maybe move to a system where 49,000 people are not trying to log into the network at the same time?

Actually if they never would have changed anything, residents would still likely be getting their 2nd bull elk tags....

Simply calling it capped created the chaos
It was still a shit show the last year before they went capped, though it's much worse now. But they also have higher demand now. Either way, it's better to just go draw.

On a positive note. Next year should be even better with everyone learning they can log in with multiple devices to try and get a better number in line.
No kidding. I used on web browser and dumb luck shined on me.

Hopefully next year they require folks to be logged in to their account and log out anyone trying to add a second session.

Hopefully next year they require folks to be logged in to their account and log out anyone trying to add a second session.
Curious, Did you log into the waiting room prior to 9:30?

I know they assigned numbers based the IP, but not sure how detailed. I would think you would need to get into the waiting room from different networks.

Curious, Did you log into the waiting room prior to 9:30?

I know they assigned numbers based the IP, but not sure how detailed. I would think you would need to get into the waiting room from different networks.
I started trying to access the website right aboiut 9:30, not sure if first try was just beofre or after but I was hitting F5 (refresh) over and over again and it did not let me on to the page where I was then validated as "iN" the waiting room waiting for the randomly assigned place in line till maybe 5 minutes before 10 am. I just made it under the wire to then be assigned what was an insanely good place in line.

Friends were in same boat as me time wise except the next got into waiting room by 10 am and got stiffed with places in line well over 10,000

Last edited:

Sadly this would be difficult to track when their system overloads and users panic with refreshes and attempts to try on other devices. The best solution is preventing an overload in the first place. Either increase server capacity, or create a system where not everyone wants to login all at once at a specific time. Maybe spreading out the release of tags throughout a week span and splitting the elk and deer release are possible alternatives if they can't budget for more server capacity. Either way, this was a disaster that gets repeated by too many agencies and companies time and time again.

As long as they can count of hunters coming up with the $$$, they won't/don't care about anything else.

"Despite anticipating and planning for this high demand..."

Thanks for the apology. Here's a suggestion. Seeing as how you planned for something that actually happened and still failed miserably, maybe move to a system where 49,000 people are not trying to log into the network at the same time?

Maybe if they implemented some kind of system where people could log on for an extended period, perhaps a month, and fill out a form for the tags they're interested in. That would alleviate the server overload issues.

Then Idaho could take those forms and randomly select winners from them in a predetermined time frame, perhaps a week. That would solve the department and vendor overload issues.

But where would they ever find such a system?

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back