ID Unit 21 and 21A?

CabinetMtnsGoat

Anybody out there have any recent elk/deer experience in either of these units - Continental divide country SE of Lost Trail Pass and ID/MT divide country SW of Lost Trail Pass? ? Thinking of a backpack hunt this fall in one or both, mainly for elk. If nobody wants to share exact GPS coordinates of kill sites (ha-ha), I understand, but any knowledge on numbers of other hunters/horse outfits that hit these areas? Can a gung-ho foot hunter find solitude and elk???

Well, I see you have made a grand total of three posts and this is my first.

Never hunted in Idaho before but have a B tag for the area and I also plan on backpacking in on foot. Also have a deer tag and bear tag but mostly just interested in elk. Going to stop off in Wyoming for antelope first.

I've hunted both unit some for muleys, but not last year. I know where some elk used to be found in both. In 2004 I sat and watched a 6X8 bull from 30 yards, but I was after muleys at the time.

Pack in to Grizzly Springs on the west side of the Indian Creek Drainage. You will have to go in from the east side just above North Fork cuz Indian Creek road is gated going up from the south. Use the terrain north toward the head of Hughs Creek. Lots of elk in there last time I packed in.

I would recommend going up Twin Cr. and hunting either the Granite Mtn or Allan Mtn areas. It's been a couple of years (2) since I was there last, but there were a lot of elk there then, and good packing trails and old roads. Allan Mtn is farther back and east of the North Fork of Hughes Cr and has Allan Lake as a watering hole.

Had a little luck (or maybe a lot). Nice 6X6 bull.

theelk.jpg

Buffalobob, I read your story on LRH with your bull and it was great. Post it here on HuntTalk for the rest of the folks to see. Congrats on your successful Idaho hunt this year.

Sweet! We pulled 3 bulls out of that country this year as well. Congrats on a good hunt.

PS- The $1.00 I spent at the North Fork RV campground for a shower was the best buck I've spent in awhile!

Congrats on the bull, he looks like a good one for this state.

Pointer, where are the stories and pics of said three bulls?

Pard has the pics on his camera, so I'm waiting on them to share the story. Won't get them for a couple of weeks. He's in the Boulder Mtns trying to fill his Mtn Goat tag.

Sorry guys, a little late...I didn't hunt that country - looks like others had great luck in this area. I hunted in the Panhandle and shot a raghorn.

Cab...what part of the Panhandle..I spend quite a bit of time up there...
Bob..thats a great bull...yeah, post the story.
Great job all.
Ernie

Back