Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

ID Unit 10,12

Lanieperch

After some research i think our group might try elk hunting in Unit 10 or 12 for elk and deer in Idaho. Does anyone have any experience in these zones? Or suggestions ? Any info would be great. We would be rifle hunting. Thanks

I'm not sure what the fires burned last year, but if there are burn areas in 10 or 12 I would start there.

It is pretty thick country, but very beautiful.

Curious what led you that direction? Elk numbers are down significantly in those areas over the last 20-30 years, but there are still elk there and some of those left are big. Expect very little competition, lots of timber and steep. It did have some fire activity this summer which should help long term, but it needs more fire every year for a while.

I out in over 100 miles on foot this year between a scouting and two hunting trips. I found elk, I found deer, I found some cow moose, and saw where a pack of snow dogs came theough. It is tough and thick country. It's very tough to hike in many areas due to the thickness of the brush. Leveraging gated spur roads is your best bet to get away from motorized roads. The entire area between both zones is huge though and surely some areas are better than others.

Here's some Lochsa bulls. Not what I had the camera set for, but they filled up my card nonetheless.

Attachments

• lochsa elk.JPG
    lochsa elk.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 1,400
I. Was given some info that there are plenty of elk there , but not as many as might be in other areas. Want a decent chanchored e at a nice bull for ne and my son. Just wanted others opinions as ive not beem out there yet.

I hunted unit 12 for many years before it went in the tank and never recovered. I haven't hunted there in quite a few years, but your question made me go to the IDF&G's website to see what was happening with elk harvest in units 10 and 12.

2014 stats for combined archery and rifle harvest in unit 12: 245 hunters reported spending 1709 days to kill 36 bull elk. When I hunted unit 12 twenty years ago, mandatory reporting wasn't required, but if memory serves me correctly, around 400 bull elk were estimated to be killed in the unit yearly.

2014 stats for unit 10: 437 archery and rifle hunters spent 3236 days to kill 66 bull elk. I never hunted 10 as much as 12 back in the days of elk in those units, but 10 always had more elk killed than 12.

It is really sad to see what has happened to what used to be fine elk hunting areas.

I know a guy that still hunts unit 12 every year. Something he has done for almost 40 years. He spends the entire season and probably kills an bull every other year. Usually a decent bull. keep in mind though he is a good hunter and knows the area well and stays until the season is over or he kills a bull.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back