Yeti GOBOX Collection

ID Spring Bear Tag Reduction

Yooper906

Noticed there are several units in Idaho that reduced NR tag cost for bear. Was wondering if anyone had any insight as to why they reduced the tag cost? Are there that many bears in these units to justify two tags now? Was headed to MT for spring bear, but might consider ID now with the two tags plus significantly cheaper licenses.

If youre not interested in baiting or running hounds id avoid the units that have the reduced price bear tags and just fork out the extra money for a full priced tag you can use in a non baiting unit, have a better hunt. The reduced non res units all allow bait and dogs. I wasnt impressed with those units. Filled my full price tag on day 3. Never saw a bear in the 2nd tag units, only called in a coyote. I think all the baiting going on messes the hunting up. Why would the bears be out and feeding all day like normal when they can just lay low during the day and go scarf down 50 gallons of gummy bears after dark?

If youre not interested in baiting or running hounds id avoid the units that have the reduced price bear tags and just fork out the extra money for a full priced tag you can use in a non baiting unit, have a better hunt. The reduced non res units all allow bait and dogs. I wasnt impressed with those units. Filled my full price tag on day 3. Never saw a bear in the 2nd tag units, only called in a coyote. I think all the baiting going on messes the hunting up. Why would the bears be out and feeding all day like normal when they can just lay low during the day and go scarf down 50 gallons of gummy bears after dark?
Thanks for the help. Will probably stick to same area in MT as last year. We had luck there, just was intrigued by the two tags in Idaho and not much further of a drive.

I have friends that regularly fill their tags spot and stalk hunting in the two bear areas. All about finding the right country where glassing is the way to go. There is a lot of country in the areas where running dogs or a bait is highly impractical

During a fall of hunting 3 or more different states, I’ll see more large predators in Idaho in fewer field days than I’ll see in all other states combined. So I’m guessing the lower tag fee is an effort to reduce some of that problem.

Don’t quote me, I haven’t looked in a while. Can’t you bait or run hounds in pretty much every unit here?

No baiting or dogs in areas that have grizzly bears, need to make sure of the unit you are in before hunting

Thanks for the help. Will probably stick to same area in MT as last year. We had luck there, just was intrigued by the two tags in Idaho and not much further of a drive.
Sorry both MT and Idaho have otc spring bear hunting or lottery only?

I bought a reduced price and am looking at unit 33, 14 or 19... last year I drew 32 (not 32a)... didn’t see a bear in the prairie country... saw lots of yotes and elk...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back