I'd love your input on my very first elk hunt (2017)

bigdonniebrasco

Well, I am at that point in my life where I am afraid that I have more hunting seasons behind me than ahead of me!

I have been a lifelong Midwestern hunter and always dreamed of heading out west for "big game". Life, kids, career etc always seemed to have been an excuse to dream about it but never do it.

This all changed this January, and I decided to actually go after my big game bucket list!

When I say "bucket list" I don't mean that I need to bag a 400' bull elk, a 90' Pronghorn or a mtn goat! I am just wanting to go on some hunts so I can at least say that I did it, and I won't have any regrets about not getting out west and making my own dreams come true!

My first hunt is for pronghorn this October.

DIY, SOLO ... hike in and camp!
I got my pronghorn tags in the mail
I got my frame pack
I'm ready to roll.

now the REAL reason for my post...

I'd like to try and get on an elk next year (2017)! I'd be a nonresident, but I can hunt rifle OR bow.
I'm looking for any insight as to where you'd recommend that I apply if I don't care about bull or cow. I am just looking for a hunt that with a high likelihood of having an opportunity to get into an area seeing as I have no points. ANY state that's not seriously cost prohibitive for a NR.
I always hunt alone but I'd be thrilled to tag along with anyone.

I know this was a long ramble, but I'm sure you get my point. I just want to go on an elk hunt and I am willing to do the work, and research.

Thanks so much for any input at all!!

Don

I take you want a DIY elk hunt? Colorado, Montana has plenty of tags in general areas you just need to decide where. I'm not sure if a guided hunt is in your budget ? If so you may want to go that route since an outfitter will provide everything and hopefully the opportunity to fill your dreams. Good luck.

Idaho, lots of tags options and places to hunt and not as crazy as colorodo otc

C

Don-

I feel ya on all accounts, and I too, will be making my first western hunt this year, antelope in WY in late September. I'm newer to hunting, and new to big game hunting, but to me, this is a confidence builder, as I plan on doing my first elk hunt in 2017, DIY, public lands... everything that is not easy, but makes the end result worth it. I have my pack, my boots, and my rifle.... now time to train. Best of luck.

Yes... I am a DIY guy and would rather not resort to an outfitter.

BWcatripper... what part of the country are you in?

Well, I am at that point in my life where I am afraid that I have more hunting seasons behind me than ahead of me!

I have been a lifelong Midwestern hunter and always dreamed of heading out west for "big game". Life, kids, career etc always seemed to have been an excuse to dream about it but never do it.

This all changed this January, and I decided to actually go after my big game bucket list!

When I say "bucket list" I don't mean that I need to bag a 400' bull elk, a 90' Pronghorn or a mtn goat! I am just wanting to go on some hunts so I can at least say that I did it, and I won't have any regrets about not getting out west and making my own dreams come true!

My first hunt is for pronghorn this October.

DIY, SOLO ... hike in and camp!
I got my pronghorn tags in the mail
I got my frame pack
I'm ready to roll.

now the REAL reason for my post...

I'd like to try and get on an elk next year (2017)! I'd be a nonresident, but I can hunt rifle OR bow.
I'm looking for any insight as to where you'd recommend that I apply if I don't care about bull or cow. I am just looking for a hunt that with a high likelihood of having an opportunity to get into an area seeing as I have no points. ANY state that's not seriously cost prohibitive for a NR.
I always hunt alone but I'd be thrilled to tag along with anyone.

I know this was a long ramble, but I'm sure you get my point. I just want to go on an elk hunt and I am willing to do the work, and research.

Thanks so much for any input at all!!

Don

What I would do.

Buy a Wyoming Elk Point this year.

Put in for the Wyoming draw for a general tag next January.

If unsuccessful use your refund money to put in for New Mexico (Check box to refund license)

If unsuccessful use your refund money to put in for Idaho and/or buy an OTC.

If you go 0-3 in the draws, you have an Idaho tag in your pocket.

Last edited:
Yep.. I'd buy a point in Wyoming, and try to scout a general area for a day or 2 this year after you fill your antelope tag.

If you get a point and put in for the special priced license, you'll almost certainly draw a general tag next year.

Getting a cow elk in Montana is easier than getting a whitetail in Kansas. Buy a tag, do your homework on where elk populations are high, hike onto some public land, or reserve yourself a spot on a BMA, wait until the last week of season, hope for miserably cold temps and snow, come shoot one.

You can get a cow tag in a lot of areas in Wyoming without a problem and get elk hunting experience without burning points.

A Wyoming tag is valid during archery and rifle season if you have the time.

Back