Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

ID Gobbler speaks no more

Muley Crazy

I was able to give this tom a dirt nap last weekend. Had a great hunt saw over 40 birds by 11:00 am Took the wife for her 1st turkey hunt and had a text book hunt all day. Right off the the bat called a long beard off the roost and he landed in the decoys but caught movement and slipped out before the wife could jelly his head. Grabbed the decoys and headed to a strunting/ feeding area that I had been seeing a pile of birds in. As soon as the decoys were out we had 12 hens come by the 4 and 7 more hens. About a half hour later more hens and two jakes walked into the field, I asked the wife if she wanted to shoot one and she passed and then had a bearded hen come walking by and again she passed. It was only the second one I have ever seen. Then 7 min before I was going to pick up a tom walked out and started feeding about 250 yards away. Did a little calling and he feed our way for about 45 min. Just as he was getting into range out come's 10 more hens. 30 min later they start to feed out of the field but the tom could not stand it anymore after strutting for all of the hens with no luck he started over to the decoys. I told the wife to SLOWLY pick up her gun and shoot him but he closed the distance so fast he was on top of us before she could get here gun up. At about 10 yard I wispered shoot him but the tom caught movement and tucked his tail and started to run so being the good husband I am I ended up shooting it i tried to explan that he was going to get away but she didn't buy it so now Im scouting for a bigger bird for her

Attachments

• Eric turkey 2010.jpg
    Eric turkey 2010.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:
Opening day!

Muley crazy nice job and congrats! I was lucky on opening day!

Attachments

• turkey n family 008.jpg
    turkey n family 008.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 165
Great birds. Muley Crazy, you're just like my buddy I elk hunt with. Opening weekend he was supposed to be calling for another buddy of ours and somehow he ended up shooting the first bull that came in.

Wally Dog ya its a Boise river average spurs(1.5) and beard (8 inch) guessing 3 year old bird seen much bigger birds but this was to perfect not to shoot

MDCROSSBOW yes it will be her 1st bird

Nice job. Congrats. Sounds like a lot of fun and you are spoiling your wife.

I've only been out one day so far -- got to the area I had in mind at o-dark-thirty only to discover 6-7 trucks already in there. So I said "screw this", took a nap, and then went mtn biking for a few hrs instead. Saw birds but none I could shoot. Great day nonetheless.

Wally, you're usually responsible for about 10 tags filled at this point in the season... where are all the pics?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back