Caribou Gear Tarp

ID Elk

mconway951

Looking at doing a ID elk hunt this year looking at unit 13 in the draw and if we dont get drawn possibly the selway. Not looking for your hot spots or places to look just wondering if anybody hunted them before and what type of terrain. I had heard the Selway is real steep and brushy, is that true. How bout unit 13 what type of terrain is that is it real bushy or is it kinda open?
Thanks in advance for any help guys.

Selway is indeed very steep and difficult to hunt,especially on foot.. The wolves have really hit the Selway hard..

If you go hunting elk in the Selway save a couple of $$. Don't buy an elk tag but buy a wolf tag-you'll be glad you did.

Do not apply for 13 without first having somewhere to hunt. I've never been to the selway so I do not have an opinion.

i had looked at the land ownership map before looked like there was a large chunk of national forest land on the very south end of the unit is this not accesable?

i had looked at the land ownership map before looked like there was a large chunk of national forest land on the very south end of the unit is this not accesable?
It is accessible but its not very good. It burnt a few years ago and was all noxious weeds the last time I was there. PM sent

If you have the $ and ability to hunt the back country of Idaho, Selway is a great choice, I think. Yes, the elk numbers are down there thanks to wolves. But there's still elk around, and that is some beautiful country. Just be in good shape.

Is there a reason why you're focusing on that part of the state? There's other great hunts. You picked two that are difficult for two different reasons. Hells Canyon has a lot of private property. Selway is all public, but you basically have to hike in.

If you have the $ and ability to hunt the back country of Idaho, Selway is a great choice, I think. Yes, the elk numbers are down there thanks to wolves. But there's still elk around, and that is some beautiful country. Just be in good shape.

Is there a reason why you're focusing on that part of the state? There's other great hunts. You picked two that are difficult for two different reasons. Hells Canyon has a lot of private property. Selway is all public, but you basically have to hike in.

I am open to anywhere I have never ben there before just looking for a spot to hunt i figured id put in in the drawing for a spot with a chance at little better success and then just get an over the counter tag if i dont draw but i like the selway due to the early season. it fits into my fall schedule little better. Also i found a guy off of craigslist that will take us in on horse and bring us out for $200 a person and $50 additional for each animal. Is this a decent deal?

If you guys have any other suggestions feel fee to share or pm me im just looking to shoot my first elk doesnt need to be a big one just a decent one.

I am open to anywhere I have never ben there before just looking for a spot to hunt i figured id put in in the drawing for a spot with a chance at little better success and then just get an over the counter tag if i dont draw but i like the selway due to the early season. it fits into my fall schedule little better. Also i found a guy off of craigslist that will take us in on horse and bring us out for $200 a person and $50 additional for each animal. Is this a decent deal?

If you guys have any other suggestions feel fee to share or pm me im just looking to shoot my first elk doesnt need to be a big one just a decent one.

Make sure he is a licensed guide, ask for references
M2h

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Killcarp2
Back