MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

ID and MT

HuntingGriffs

New to the forum here, this will be my first year chasing elk. I am heading to Montana in September with a B tag, got a permit to hunt the Custer National Forest so i'm counting down the days for that. Then in October, i'll be heading to Idaho with an OTC bull tag for the Tex Creek area, i've been scouting on OnX and google earth for months in preparation. Can't wait to get started, excited is an understatement. I hunt mulies and white tails in north dakota every year, but this is a new challenge for me. SO i have a game plan for my Idaho hunt and plan on getting out there 3-4 days before the season starts to scout and locate some elk. For my montana hunt i have not scouted as much so i have some work to do, but just curious as to what everyone does if they go on a cow hunt with archery gear. Spot and stalk or call? Any input on either hunt or area's is appreciated.

I have never hunted either state, bowhunted elk, or hunted cows so I could only give you hearsay.

Welcome to hunt talk.

Welcome. I hunt Idaho OTC every other year (unit 6). Expect steep country and bring good glass with you. It can be cold depending on where you're hunting. Nothing extreme but if not prepared for cold + wind it could be miserable (Gore wind stopper). Some of the steep slopes and valleys can carry a breeze all day.

As far as Archery goes. I hunt Sept. archery every year here in Washington. I am not a spot and stalk guy typically but will if the occasion presents itself (typically Sept is a time of year they are herded up and its difficult to spot and stalk that many eyes and noses). Typically I hunt ground blinds. Ground blinds require ambush style hunting and a fair bit of scouting. Elk typically use the same feeding grounds year after year during specific times of the year as long as predator or weather conditions don't change things. The key to ambush style hunting is knowing where elk will be during certain times of year. Since you don't have the luxury of hunting a familiar area and don't have time for camera work or scouting I would say that if you are hunting Sept. look for North face dark slopes and a water source. More often than not it's hot in Sept. Elk need water. If you can find dark timber, shaded green brows and a water source near by you may be in luck. Boots on the ground will confirm fresh sign and then it's gonna be a little luck and some good instincts that will help you find a spot to sit a ground blind (travel corridors between food source, water and feeding grounds). Wind is key so be aware of where you set a ground blind. Don't be afraid to spend time on that voodoo stuff (scent blocker products) either.

I am with G Martin on the calling. Unless you're hunting bulls in Sept. using calls are for stopping elk for a shot otherwise I have found it best to stay quiet specially if your in an area with other hunters.

Good luck to you and once again, welcome to the forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cows can be called, but in open country like the Custer I would concentrate on spot and stalk. The elk see enough pressure that they will be wary of coming to a call in an area they should be able to see another elk. Calls can be very effective for bringing a cow closer in cover, I wouldn’t expect to see one come long distances like a lone bull sometimes will.

It will tougher this year due to every stock tank, pond, stream/spring being full of water and vegetation is very lush. I would try spot and stalk and hope you can get into position before they bed down.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back