Iced up

Nick87

Last few days everything has iced over here. Hiked back to a roost that froze over and the birds were gone so we dropped in the ice eater and built a make shift blind. Returned this morning and had one of the best days duck hunting I've had in a while. Unfortunately I didn't get to bring the dog. Between the ice and the fact that this slough has a ton of saplings chewed off sharp by beavers beneath the waters surface I just didn't feel comfortable bringing her which I felt guilty about all morning. Maybe some of you guys with a little more experience with dogs can way in on that for me. Everyone told me I was nuts for buying that ice eater but it sure payed off today. 3 man limit and a handful of geese. For the record I'm not sure what is more of a work out packing out deer at high altitude or carrying decoys and tons of other gear in waders through iced over cattails and dead falls in waist high water with quick sand like bottom? I am beat! Pics didn't turn out too great was trying for all green heads but easier said than done those first few minutes of legal light.

Attachments

• 20201206_122852.jpg
    20201206_122852.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0677.jpg
    IMG_0677.jpg
    401.7 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Oh yeah thats how you squeeze one more day out of the season. That and come to Florida and dodge gators.
Haha nope dont do gators and snakes. Got one more weekend left hoping it iced back up and we can go back in and do it all over again one more time. We can still hunt geese til like the 13th of january or so though.

Good call on playing it safe with the dog. I had a scary experience the other day with ice shelves that mine couldn’t climb in the North Platte. I almost had to break the ice and go for a swim.

Good call on playing it safe with the dog. I had a scary experience the other day with ice shelves that mine couldn’t climb in the North Platte. I almost had to break the ice and go for a swim.
Yah sucks not bringing her because she knew where I was going this morning but the alternative just didn't seem worth it.

I have had similar conditions where I did not bring my dog, good call in my opinion.

Good work on the ducks. We have been iced out a while now in northern Wisconsin (plus duck season is now closed). Still some geese around on our rivers

I have had similar conditions where I did not bring my dog, good call in my opinion.

Good work on the ducks. We have been iced out a while now in northern Wisconsin (plus duck season is now closed). Still some geese around on our rivers
Talked to my cousin yesterday who was in Wisconsin Rapids said there was an abundance of ducks on the river. I think the majority is still between where your at and here. At least I hope because we have not witnessed great duck numbers here this year.

Talked to my cousin yesterday who was in Wisconsin Rapids said there was an abundance of ducks on the river. I think the majority is still between where your at and here. At least I hope because we have not witnessed great duck numbers here this year.
I was hoping your original post about everything freezing up meant the birds were finally on their way to me in central Indiana.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElknTrout
Back