Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Ice options

Cammy

So my recent Idaho trip got me to thinking about keeping things cold for the duration. Normally there is snow on the ground which makes for a cheap option to icing down a kill. This year there was a lack of enough white stuff so supplemental ice was needed for the ride home.

I saw a Discovery Channel show about Pykrete and was thinking about making some in 1 gallon jugs. Anyone ever consider this?

Myth Busters did some testing on it and they discovered that news paper held together better than sawdust in a block form. I am looking for an option that will maintain the cold factor longer than frozen water alone.

Sorry I don't want this thread to become a "get a Yeti" or other type of cooler discussion. Just wondering if this has ever been considered.

I just by ice at the gas station as needed, block if available. It's cheap enough and I don't have anything to store when I'm done with it. Plus, I'm lazy.

If access to ice is no problem, just buy ice and add it when necessary. Put something on the bottom of the cooler to keep the meat up out of the water. Drain the water off as it melts. It will work for days. Don't know about the other stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back