Ice Fishing(post your pics)

When you have a freezer stuffed with halibut, salmon, ling cod, and rockfish...tough to head out ice fishing these days. But I really need to get out.

Used to ice fish a bunch:

1-02-08%20023.JPG

1-12-08%20006.JPG

IMG_2871.JPG

IMG_3418.JPG

IMG_3413.JPG

glendocat3.jpg

icefishing4.jpg
Holy crap! That jigging shad rap is a great bait!

Great pictures everyone! Hopefully I can contribute some pictures in the coming weeks.

Where's your sonar?? Did you check depths??
No sonar. Haven't decided to jump in financially. Just something to get me out of the house in winter right now. I tried depths from around 6ft to about 15. Lots of people with fancy equipment out, but didn't see anyone catch a fish.

No sonar. Haven't decided to jump in financially. Just something to get me out of the house in winter right now. I tried depths from around 6ft to about 15. Lots of people with fancy equipment out, but didn't see anyone catch a fish.
I refuse to fish without my vexilar. You can easily pick one up $180ish on CL. You try tip ups? How many holes drilled?

I refuse to fish without my vexilar. You can easily pick one up $180ish on CL. You try tip ups? How many holes drilled?

I just have one rod at the moment. I drilled four holes progressively going further out. Spent about a half hour at each before moving spots.

I just have one rod at the moment. I drilled four holes progressively going further out. Spent about a half hour at each before moving spots.
Anyone you know ice fish a bit? Tip ups are cheap ~$12, and they allow you to fish many places at once. If your serious, most aren't, about ice fishing you have to study the lake beforehand. Look for structure, steep drop offs, or points. This way you have a better idea where they should be!

Anyone you know ice fish a bit? Tip ups are cheap ~$12, and they allow you to fish many places at once. If your serious, most aren't, about ice fishing you have to study the lake beforehand. Look for structure, steep drop offs, or points. This way you have a better idea where they should be!

Nobody around here. I figured drilling a hole and sitting with my one rod would be a long shot, but it was sunny and not too windy. Worse ways to spend a few hours.

Nobody around here. I figured drilling a hole and sitting with my one rod would be a long shot, but it was sunny and not too windy. Worse ways to spend a few hours.
Fair enough

I've fished for 3 years without a sonar, and did pretty well. Bought an ice 35 3 trips ago, and haven't caught near as many fish. I give up.

I've fished for 3 years without a sonar, and did pretty well. Bought an ice 35 3 trips ago, and haven't caught near as many fish. I give up.
Well no wonder! You gotta go vexilar and not hummingbird!

You need one thing, an auger that you can drill a couple hundred holes a day with.

I have caught thousands of perch, walleye, crappie, catfish, bass, etc. in Wyoming, never have owned a tip up or a vexilar. Those fish are tied to structure.

I find a good shore line...and drill holes. Then I go out another 20-30 feet...and drill holes. Then 20 feet further, drill more holes...all along the shore line.

Fish each one with a jigging rapala, snap them pretty hard...if the fish are there, you'll get hit within the first couple snaps. If not, move to another hole.

Once you find fish, pound on them...when they stop biting, move again...run and gun.

If you're fishing trout/kokanee...different story. Better to cover the water column and treat them like pelagic fish...structure means close to zip.

You need one thing, an auger that you can drill a couple hundred holes a day with.

I have caught thousands of perch, walleye, crappie, catfish, bass, etc. in Wyoming, never have owned a tip up or a vexilar. Those fish are tied to structure.

I find a good shore line...and drill holes. Then I go out another 20-30 feet...and drill holes. Then 20 feet further, drill more holes...all along the shore line.

Fish each one with a jigging rapala, snap them pretty hard...if the fish are there, you'll get hit within the first couple snaps. If not, move to another hole.

Once you find fish, pound on them...when they stop biting, move again...run and gun.

If you're fishing trout/kokanee...different story. Better to cover the water column and treat them like pelagic fish...structure means close to zip.
That is impressive. And it definitely can be done especially on a familiar lake! I prefer to always have a vex. Watching them come up and hammer my bait is too much fun!

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back