Ice fishing North Idaho

smitty661

Anybody been out on the ice anywhere in north Idaho? The family got me some ice fishing gear for Christmas and I'm excited to get out there and try it. I don't know anybody that ice fishes so ill be going solo unless anybody in the CDA/ Sandpoint area wants to join. I called fish and game and asked if there were any lakes that were fishable, they said no. Ive seen some pictures and videos of some guys already out on the ice so I know there has to be a couple small lakes that have safe ice.

I'm all ears! Ice fishing is my other addiction!

They got me a sled, a couple of the small rod and reel combos, a tip up, an auger, ice scoop, and a bucket with a padded top. I spooled up my reels with some 6 lb test, got some tungsten jigs, some spoons and a few steel leaders. I'm ready to get on the hardwater and start drilling holes. I guess ill wait a couple weeks for things to ice over.

What'd they get you?

They set you up! Now you need a shack for those sub zero days. A sleeper shack should do 😎😎! Seriously though, what are you going to target?

Well I was planning on trout/ crappie/ perch on the rods and dead baits under the tip ups for pike/ burbot/ tiger muskies. Ill fish for anything though. At some point id like to get my kids out on the ice for some panfish too. I saw some of those shelters and they look pretty cool but also pretty pricey. Are you up in this area? What lakes do you fish?

there's a forum called Ice Shanty. There are subforums specific to Idaho and it would be worthwhile taking a look.

It might be worth taking a long weekend and fishing in central ID for some monster perch. Definitely consider getting a fish finder/flasher as it will help a ton with catching.

Yeah I found ice shanty and the guys in there pointed me to some fishable lakes. At some point I might head down to cascade for the big perch. For now I’ll stick close to home.

there's a forum called Ice Shanty. There are subforums specific to Idaho and it would be worthwhile taking a look.

It might be worth taking a long weekend and fishing in central ID for some monster perch. Definitely consider getting a fish finder/flasher as it will help a ton with catching.
That one and this are the only ones I like

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back