Caribou Gear

Ice fishing newbie

cwitherow

As the title suggests, I am a complete ice fishing newbie. I spend a lot of time on the water in the summer and early fall, but I have never gone ice fishing. I was recently given an old hand auger, which was the "big ticket" item that prevented me from going. He said if I wasn't planning on spending a lot of money to get a couple tip-ups and head out on a nice day to the lake. For those of you that ice fish often, is this good advice? I am not planning on buying a shelter at this time, so fair weather days only. My other idea was to get one tip-up and then a rod to jig with.

Any help is appreciated. Gear, strategy, etc.

I use a hand auger or even just a chipper, an ice scoop, and a bucket to carry my two 1980s-era rods. No other equipment. I move around making holes over different depths and distance off the bottom, and vegetation structure until I find the panfish schools and then try and catch my limit. Meal worms for sunfish during the day or crappie minnows after dark. It’s a blast. I mostly fished west metro in MN. Ice fishing is more hit and miss in lower tier counties of IA with ice depth, safety, etc.

Figure out what kind of blades your auger takes and get new ones. Hand augers aren’t bad if you have good blades. I would recommend getting the Navionics app fro your phone. Use it to find mid lake humps or reefs. If you don’t have a flasher Start jigging on the bottom and work your way up from their. When you catch a fish remember about how far you were off the bottom and go back to that depth.
@ElkFever2 how much ice do you have down your way? I want to hit up 12 mile and 3 mile in the next couple weeks if there is enough ice.

Hand augers work great especially if you're not going to move around a lot (get an ice scoop)...investigate a power drill adapter and see if you can make one work for you. That'll help a ton and you won't have to worry about a gas auger. Not sure of the rules over in MN but I think a tip up with a live minnow will produce quite a few fish for you. A handful of jigs to match your quarry...PK lures, Swedish pimples, and a couple basic jigs is all you really need. Go into a local store and ask what seems to be producing.

A lot of walleye and perch fishing is done within a couple feet of the bottom.

Swing over to IceShanty forums and check out their info for MN. Be sure to introduce yourself, ask questions, and see if anyone will show you the ropes. Heck some guys may invite you out...bring beer and processed meats to share.

I love ice fishing. Definitely go give it a shot. Like others have said, you don't need a lot of equipment. I usually sling my gas auger over my shoulder and carry a couple rods and ice scoop in my other hand. The wind will blow anything else away here in WY. I like to drill a lot of holes and bounce around until I find a good spot. You can start close to shore and drill a series of holes out into deeper water to find the right depth. I don't use tip ups, but lots of people do. I would definitely go buy a cheap ice rod/real combo for jigging. Have patience. Good luck and have fun!

Buy a pair of picks and wear them. Just because you see someone out doesn't make the ice safe. Buy a chisel and check often. Safety first with ice fishing.

The K-Drill is a good option for when the ice gets thicker and drilling by hand is less fun.... Find a good bait shop on a popular lake, buy a few things and get some info from them. Bait shops are a good source of up-to-date info. Navionics app is good to have and not expensive. Good luck and have fun!

If you have a sonar setup/fish finder already there’s generally ways to convert them to use ice fishing. That little bobber thing with the phone app works good for a buddy of mine also. Can’t think of the name. I fished for years without electronics, and had fun. But a vexilar/flasher is a game changer.

You can buy some cheap rods from Scheels that are actually pretty good. I’ve been using 4 $20 rod/reel combos for 4 years on panfish and they work great. Throw some small tungsten jigs and a waxworm on and have fun!

It’s addicting. I just started doing it for something to get outside with the kids and now I’m full ice fishing goofy. Good luck!

Last edited:
You better be careful. Ice fishing can be like hunting and you can’t just have 1 rod or 1 tip up. Next thing you know you have 2 sleds and and lots of gear.
I mostly fish central/ southern WY.
I use a DeWalt drill with an 8” auger. Carey an extra battery or two with me as well.
You can get a bobber type fish finder for around $100 and it links to your phone. They work well for the size and cost. It’s what I used for 2 years before getting an actual ice fish finder setup. Makes running and gunning for fish very easy as well.
Depending on my lake I can have 2-6 rods. I may run 4 rods and 2 tip ups, 3-3 or 2-4 it just depends.
I find minnows work best and depending on your target fish will be what Lure/ jig you use.
The investment in a shelter is well worth it. I have 2 hub type blinds. I want a flip over style as I fish a lot by myself and it’s much easier to set up alone.

If someone just wanted to go icefishing from scratch and have fun while not spending much, here is what you will need:

-Ice spud (hint: find recently used holes from others). You have a drill so you are ahead of the game here

-Minnow bucket and hole skimmer

-5 gallon bucket containing 3 Polar HT brand tipups (put in however many you can legally have)

-6 pack Miller High Life

Good luck. Flaaaaag!

Update- I bought a rod/reel, tip-up, and a smattering of lures. Had a coworker take us out and got into perch. We couldn't get our lines in the water fast enough. Not sure if I'm ready to get electronics/shelter, but on a nice day I'll sit on my bucket!

If anyone is looking for a new rod, take a look at Limit Creek. It is a quality reel for a good price.

If someone just wanted to go icefishing from scratch and have fun while not spending much, here is what you will need:

-Ice spud (hint: find recently used holes from others). You have a drill so you are ahead of the game here

-Minnow bucket and hole skimmer

-5 gallon bucket containing 3 Polar HT brand tipups (put in however many you can legally have)

-6 pack Miller High Life

Good luck. Flaaaaag!
MHL ain’t bad but gotta go with the Yellow bullets.

Attachments

• CD947DE1-ED5F-42C8-9E58-124B94D3A1D0.jpeg
    CD947DE1-ED5F-42C8-9E58-124B94D3A1D0.jpeg
    905.1 KB · Views: 2
I started with a rented auger and bass rods.

Many years later I have a K-Drill, a few expensive rods, two ice shanties, sleds and a whole assortment of gear. I’m trying to decide if I need a 10’ board and waders to get off a walleye lake on Saturday.

Love it.2EB9C309-AD23-441A-9C33-C68702CD9158.jpeg

I just started ice fishing seriously this year, I had gone a few times in the past but it wasn't something I knew much about, and I still have lots to learn. I bought some tip ups but from my experience the rods are much more productive, it is easier for me to set the depth correctly while using a rod and you are in charge of setting the hook. I have yet to catch anything on the tip up.

Back