I want to build a 7mm

Gabenzeke

Hi everyone, I'm wanting to build a custom rifle, and prefer a 7 mm as I already have a 300 RUM. My ideal rifle would shoot either the 168 grain cutting edge MTH OR a 180 grain berger close to 2900/3000 out of a barrel no longer than 24 inches, preferably as short as 22. My goal is an elk capable rifle that can reach a max distance of 600 yards, but able to shoot targets to 1k. Will a 7 wsm accomplish this? Should I be looking at a 7/300 win mag? I'll be shooting suppressed to help reduce recoil, so what cartridges should I be looking at if I want to stay away from hard kicking/barrel burning cartridges?

^agree with above. I'd personally probably live with hornady brass in a 7wsm over building a rem mag just to avoid belts and case stretch but i'm a short and stubby cartridge fan. A WSM or RM are about the same in case capacity and will perform similarly velocity wise.

I have had a couple 22" saum barrels and I wouldn't go into a SAUM planning to run 2900 fps with 180 class bullets. You can do it running warm charges of RL26 but it's never a good idea to go into a build expecting the highest velocity to be where your rifle is happy. Low 2800's seems to be my happy place with 180s and i'm throated long for them.

7MM blaser mag is the ideal case for your application in my opinion and norma makes brass for it if you can find it. 7 WSM/RM case capacity, no belt, steep shoulders, longer neck than the stubby wsm neck. It is a damn near perfect case.

It might not have quite the punch you are looking for with 168s but 280 AI may be an option.

^agree with above. I'd personally probably live with hornady brass in a 7wsm over building a rem mag just to avoid belts and case stretch but i'm a short and stubby cartridge fan. A WSM or RM are about the same in case capacity and will perform similarly velocity wise.

I have had a couple 22" saum barrels and I wouldn't go into a SAUM planning to run 2900 fps with 180 class bullets. You can do it running warm charges of RL26 but it's never a good idea to go into a build expecting the highest velocity to be where your rifle is happy. Low 2800's seems to be my happy place with 180s and i'm throated long for them.

7MM blaser mag is the ideal case for your application in my opinion and norma makes brass for it if you can find it. 7 WSM/RM case capacity, no belt, steep shoulders, longer neck than the stubby wsm neck. It is a damn near perfect case.
I've looked into the blaser, and I'm not sure why it isn't more popular, but the scarcity makes me nervous.

You might look at the 7mm lrm.
The standard length Ruger case necked to 7.

Pretty good discussions on long range forum.

You might look at the 7mm lrm.
The standard length Ruger case necked to 7.

Pretty good discussions on long range forum.
I love the looks of this one, but it seems like making the brass is really hard? Do you have experience with it?

I do not, but I think you can purchase brass and from 300 ruger it might not be bad.
There was one negative comment about ruger brass.

Hi everyone, I'm wanting to build a custom rifle, and prefer a 7 mm as I already have a 300 RUM. My ideal rifle would shoot either the 168 grain cutting edge MTH OR a 180 grain berger close to 2900/3000 out of a barrel no longer than 24 inches, preferably as short as 22. My goal is an elk capable rifle that can reach a max distance of 600 yards, but able to shoot targets to 1k. Will a 7 wsm accomplish this? Should I be looking at a 7/300 win mag? I'll be shooting suppressed to help reduce recoil, so what cartridges should I be looking at if I want to stay away from hard kicking/barrel burning cartridges?
7 wsm will accomplish that. 7 SAUM will do it more efficiently and with a shorter barrel with only a minor sacrifice in performance. 280 ai will be very comparable to a 7 saum.

I shoot 145 to 155 gr monos (Badlands precision and hammer) @ 3200-3250 in a 22" 7 saum improved (7 sherman max). Make sure that your speed and BC will get you to the distance you want and allow yourself some wiggle room on the yardage incase your predicted speed is a little high.

7mm remington will get you there. WSM will be close but brass options suck. If you are looking 168 at 2900-3000 I’d look into the 7mm saum now that ADG is making brass for it. 7mm-300 win and 28 nosler are basically twins and will get you there with room to spare
I'm 3030fps w/180gr Scenar L with your hand me down 7 Super'b Mashburn....isn't it a 25"?

I love the looks of this one, but it seems like making the brass is really hard? Do you have experience with it?
Gunwerks used to offer up headstamped 7LRM hornady brass but being hornady brass was the main criticism on the cartridge. I haven’t followed the cartridge lately but wouldn’t be surprised if they have sourced something better by now.

Otherwise, it’s basically the same thing as 7mm-300 PRC which would be easy to form with lapua and be pretty cool.

At over $4 per piece of empty brass, that's a hard no. :)
Sorry, my original post was in jest.

To be serious, though.
Do you already have an action?
Or are you planning on purchasing one for the cartridge you decide on?

That in and of itself could be a deciding factor.

I can appreciate wanting a reduced recoil, but you can obviously handle recoil shooting a 300 RUM.

If expense is part of the equasion, then perhaps the venerable 7mm Rem Mag is the answer.

Suppressor to reduce recoil, i wouldn't advise.
While it would do some recoil reduction, it throws off the balance of the rifle.
If you truly want recoil reduction then i'd go with a brake.
But noise wise you get the opposite of a suppressor.

Sorry, my original post was in jest.

To be serious, though.
Do you already have an action?
Or are you planning on purchasing one for the cartridge you decide on?

That in and of itself could be a deciding factor.

I can appreciate wanting a reduced recoil, but you can obviously handle recoil shooting a 300 RUM.

If expense is part of the equasion, then perhaps the venerable 7mm Rem Mag is the answer.

Suppressor to reduce recoil, i wouldn't advise.
While it would do some recoil reduction, it throws off the balance of the rifle.
If you truly want recoil reduction then i'd go with a brake.
But noise wise you get the opposite of a suppressor.
I figured you were joking. Honestly, I didn't even know they were still around. Probably should have explained a bit better....I'm not really averse to recoil, but was thinking shooting could probably be more pleasant and a bit cheaper too. I love my 300 rum. But it's also heavy. This is why I wanted to lean toward a light build with a short barrel. Suppressor to mitigate at least some recoil while also stepping down a bit from 30 cal. Prefer to build from a terminus kratos or kratos lite. But also open to other opinions I suppose.

7 SAUM would be my response if you're going full custom. Otherwise 7mm Rem Mag or .280 AI for a bit more standardized. I've heard nothing but rave reviews from friends with the SAUM as far as accuracy goes.

Back