I shot the best buck of my life this evening

HuntTalk Freak

And I can’t even find a drop of blood. Found his hoof prints where he jumped at the shot and a overturned rock about 100yds from where I seen him run. I circled around three times in about a 300yds square and nothing. Will go back out tomorrow but the meat will be bad with current temps.

It just hasn’t been my year. I’ve canceled every trip since early October due to family illness. I was terribly sick last week and was quarantined over thanksgiving missing my one year olds first real thanksgiving.

I’m hoping I just flat out missed but at 130yds I don’t see how. This has been one of those years that almost makes me want to quit…but I won’t.

Sorry to hear that, hang in there. Best of luck for the mornings search.

Well it turns out I totally missed him as he was up walking in the same area at first light. I had a different rifle with me this morning…….

He’s not as big as I originally thought but has cool character.

Attachments

• 5FF7C5B1-3A1D-4351-BD08-C6908EEC7C53.jpeg
    5FF7C5B1-3A1D-4351-BD08-C6908EEC7C53.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 108
  • BC18D52D-5517-46D3-9D4C-326737B794DC.jpeg
    BC18D52D-5517-46D3-9D4C-326737B794DC.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 109
  • 1AB19538-19FC-4CA1-955D-509F447946F0.jpeg
    1AB19538-19FC-4CA1-955D-509F447946F0.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 108
Well it turns out I totally missed him as he was up walking in the same area at first light. I had a different rifle with me this morning…….

I missed a buck with my bow a couple weeks ago that looked similar to this one, would've been my first whitetail. Glad you got him!

Glad it worked out for ya. Funny how the memory of "the one that got away" is always a bit bigger.

Glad you found him. I wonder if you tickled his brisket or his back on that first shot.

There's no betrayal like that of a rifle who loses its zero.
It’s partially my fault. It’s a new rifle. I’ve shot a total of five rounds out of it to get it zeroed. I’ve had it for three or four months now and after spending $1400 on it I wanted to use it. I’ll make some time next week to shoot it some more and check it out.

I missed a buck with my bow a couple weeks ago that looked similar to this one, would've been my first whitetail. Glad you got him!
Man that sucks. Hope you get another shot. I brought my bow on this trip but the wind has been all wrong and I have to eat cough drops like candy and still have a cough so it’s been a no go.

Glad you found him. I wonder if you tickled his brisket or his back on that first shot.
I actually wondered that too and checked him out. Didn’t see anything out of the ordinary.
7mm mags are pretty flat shooting and zeroed at 1” high at 100 shouldn’t have been a big drop at 130.
The 6.5 hipster worked this morning.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
runoutdoors
Back