Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

I Saw RED!!!

I was fly fishing to some and they ignored everything I threw at them (eggs, etc) until I tried a pink fly. It was night and day and the only time I’ve seen color make much difference.

i remember how trout hung out below the salmon and fed on the nymphs kicked up by the salmon making their redds. It was way more effective to throw nymphs at the trout than eggs.

So that’s my story...

I was fly fishing to some and they ignored everything I threw at them (eggs, etc) until I tried a pink fly. It was night and day and the only time I’ve seen color make much difference.

i remember how trout hung out below the salmon and fed on the nymphs kicked up by the salmon making their redds. It was way more effective to throw nymphs at the trout than eggs.

So that’s my story...
Most guys throw eggs, I like what you came up with better and it makes sense.

For you guys that live near the ocean fish like this might not be a big deal, but for a guy living in the desert of Southern Utah, these little salmon are very unique, and FUN to catch! I caught them until my arms hurt. I have no idea how many I fought, lost, or landed, but it was a significant number. Jig fishing at its finest. A perfect way to spend a fall day.
View attachment 158970

View attachment 158971

View attachment 158973

View attachment 158974
Kokanee are a hoot on the fly rod. I just this year started trying to target them while silver. No table fare that I have sampled from freshwater compares. Thanks for sharing

Nice catches!

So did you retire from the schools? If so congrats!
Yes and no. I retired from teaching in Montana, but it's not enough to live on by any means. I landed a new teaching job in Utah and I'm working towards a second retirement. The next time I retire it will be for-reals!

Last edited:
Back