Caribou Gear

I Need Some Honest Opinions

Muley_Stalker

A little background first. I'll turn 77 in Dec. I've hunted Colorado almost every year since the mid-'50s for elk, muley's, and bear. Mostly for elk. I started to hunt as a youngster with my dad and brother. I lost them both in the '80s. I've hunted alone since then. As a still hunter, I prefer to hunt alone. It just works better. It's hard enough to sneak up on the game but almost impossible to do with two hunters together.

For most of the years, i'd only hunt for bulls and bucks. I left the girls alone. As I got older I had to switch to cows but stayed with bucks. The struggle to get the meat out from a bull became too much at my age. So, as time went by the cows I shot got smaller. I try to be an ethical hunter and won't shoot any game I can't get the meat out and do it fast enough to keep it fresh.

So, now to my question for you guys. With more and more old man problems every year a cow has become too much for me. I have two choices. Just hunt for muley bucks or hunt for a calf elk. It's hard for me to even type out the word calf. For someone who for decades would only shoot a bull. It's really hard to even consider shooting a calf. I called up the DOW about this and got an answer that shocked me. He told me they prefer I shoot a calf over a cow. He said it was better for herd control. With that out of the way, my next concern is what other hunters think about it. My options are, shoot a calf or retire from elk hunting. I figure a calf and muley buck are about the same size which means about the same amount of meat. I can get the antlerless elk tag every year in muzzleloader season. I can't do that with the buck tag, so if I went with just hunting for bucks it would be every year. Hard to take not hunting at all for a season.

This is a decision i'm having a hard time making. What do you guys think?

I think you have another option. You could line up a packer to get it out. For a little $$, you could be shooting bulls again! There are many ways to find a packer.....an outfitter or a local kid. I bet there are a ton of high school kids in that area that would gladly help you out for a little money. Best of luck and I sure admire you for still getting after it at 77!

I think you have another option. You could line up a packer to get it out. For a little $$, you could be shooting bulls again! There are many ways to find a packer.....an outfitter or a local kid. I bet there are a ton of high school kids in that area that would gladly help you out for a little money. Best of luck and I sure admire you for still getting after it at 77!

Yes, it's an option but not one i'd take. I have my own set of rules. If I can't do the whole hunt then I shouldn't be doing any of it. It's just how I am. You'd think I was nuts if you knew all my personal rules. I never talk about them but in this case I had to mention this one so you'd understand why I can't do what you suggest. Thanks for your post.

Reactions: FYT

1. Hiring someone for just a packout isn't a real service in Colorado.
2. Hiring someone other than the one outfitter for your specific use area is illegal, CPAW is cracking down on this, I helped a buddy get an elk out during archery season and there was a CPAW officer interviewing everyone with horses that went into the unit making sure they weren't under the table outfitting.

This subject is thoroughly discussed here.
https://www.hunttalk.com/threads/elk-packing-services-are-not-a-thing-you-must-have-a-plan.292035/

@ElkStalker would you consider hunting on private land? I think there are likely some ranchers out there that would gladly let you shoot a cow every year for herd management.

Still doing it at your age is awesome, doing it solo is unbelievable, my hat is off to you Sir.

Along with the question above about private, are you against using a outfitter?

Yes, it's an option but not one i'd take. I have my own set of rules. If I can't do the whole hunt then I shouldn't be doing any of it. It's just how I am. You'd think I was nuts if you knew all my personal rules. I never talk about them but in this case I had to mention this one so you'd understand why I can't do what you suggest. Thanks for your post.

I think you're nuts and that you need to change a few of these 'personal rules' so you can enjoy doing what you love to do as long as you're physically able. Swallow your pride and find someone who is licensed and reputable to outfit in your area and hire them to pack out the meat.

...or you could just watch hunting on TV and Youtube the rest of your days

2. Hiring someone other than the one outfitter for your specific use area is illegal, CPAW is cracking down on this, I helped a buddy get an elk out during archery season and there was a CPAW officer interviewing everyone with horses that went into the unit making sure they weren't under the table outfitting.

https://www.hunttalk.com/threads/elk-packing-services-are-not-a-thing-you-must-have-a-plan.292035/

@ElkStalker would you consider hunting on private land? I think there are likely some ranchers out there that would gladly let you shoot a cow every year for herd management.

I second that option. On some private you may be able to get a vehicle close enough to go after cows instead of calves if that sounds more palatable to you. I dread the day I can no longer head to the mountains so take advantage of every opportunity you can is my advice.

Man, I hate to keep doing this. I won't hunt private land. Believe me, guys. I've thought of all the options for me. It's hunt for a calf or retire from elk hunting. That would hurt.

If I retire from elk hunting I have two options left. A buck or bear. I could hunt for bear every year and a buck about every other year. Since the buck and bear have overlapping seasons. I could hunt for both on the years I get a buck tag and just bear on the years I can't get the buck tag.

That doesn't sound too bad. At least i'd be hunting every year. Maybe that's a better option than hunting for an elk calf. Damn! The thought of shooting a calf will break my heart.

I'm sorry guys. I should have worked this out before starting this thread. Although , talking about it has really helped me work it out.

Ok, my elk hunting is done. Just bucks and boars from now on.

Thanks, guys.

You're wrestling with a tough question (one that all of us will have to, at some point or another, in some shape, form, or fashion), and hats off to you for being open and honest and seeking input. I have no dilemma, morally or otherwise, with shooting a calf--they issue those tags for a reason. That said, I understand the reluctance. Maybe plan for the calves, and go ahead and apply for the buck muley tags--maybe you would enjoy that new challenge. But regardless, I'd keep hunting as long as you can, and if that means stepping it down a level to calves, then so be it. Good luck and godspeed.

thanks for the correction. I had no clue! Sorry for the bad advice regarding the high school kid!

Once you shoot and eat a calf, and realize how delicious they are you won't struggle with this question anymore, haha.

I get it though. Not always easy for me to shoot the little ones either.

thanks for the correction. I had no clue! Sorry for the bad advice regarding the high school kid!

Honestly, until I dug into it I had no idea either. It's a pretty stupid legal situation and I think it leads to a lot of rotting elk flesh out in the woods. I'm not sure what the best fix would be, but CPAW certainly needs to do something.

Look for a young smaller cow not a calf. Nothing wrong with taking a calf, imo. It has the a mount of meat you seek and nothing unethical in my book about taking one..
These days we also look for easy cows, not packing one of those miles when we can be picky and take one that is not too much work to get out. However that means not harvesting some years.

You could take a young person under your wing and teach them to hunt. That way you could help each other. Will be harder the way you go about hunting but it shouldn’t be impossible. If you had to be alone, after going a time or two you could split up but ride together and discuss what happened and what should have happened on the way in and out. I think there is a forum here to find people if you need help. I know that is a big step but I suspect you have a lot to teach for the right person.

Once you shoot and eat a calf, and realize how delicious they are you won't struggle with this question anymore, haha.

I get it though. Not always easy for me to shoot the little ones either.

I can only imagine how good they taste. I've never had any elk that wasn't good tasting but a calf has to be the best. Maybe when my freezer is empty i'll reconsider the calf again. Another thing I didn't mention is I have a beautiful area to hunt for elk. Very few hunters and no steep terrain. I live at 8000ft in the Rockies and i'm always up high in the mountains doing something from hiking with my dog, scouting, or fly fishing the mountain creeks. I have a ton of places I can hunt but only one that's pretty easy. It only works for elk and it's something I have to consider.

I have a year to think about it. As the deadline gets near for the draw it will tell me what i've decided. It might be pretty hard to not put in for an elk tag. I've done over 60 elk hunts. That's hard to quit.

I guess nothing is set in stone yet. :)

I guess nothing is set in stone yet. :)

And that is the good news, glad to hear you say that sir, as I also had a very rigid set of personal do's and dont.s that I had to rethink as the years added up and the body was not able to do the things it was once able to do.

I am now only a spectator, advisor and cheerleader, but it is better, at least for me, than not being there, at all. But having said that to each their own and if you are unable to hunt with anyone, you can still go fishing, maybe even bird hunting.

I did want to share this with you. When I was your age was approx the time that my children started insisting that I take someone with me, simply because of my age and health. they just didn't want me to fall and not have anyone there to help me, it had nothing to do with carrying something out, except possibly me

I wish you all the best

Interesting.
I am 64,hunt alone & never taken a calf. A year old cow,yes.
I have hunted mostly public lands in my life, but also have hunted on private ranches I had access to. Same as getting onto a small BLM parcel surrounded by private,which I do often.
I hope to still be hunting & breaking down critters when I am your age,if I get there. I have had to realize I cannot do what I did a few years ago let alone 30.
I have taken elk to a local butcher when I needed it cooled & processed. I was beat from breaking it down and it was warm.
Don't know what I will do in future,besides still hunt. I do know a few locals who might help get one out of a tough spot,but would not count on it. Most are working as guides or packing now anyway.
I do get to hunt some easier lands these days than in past,or have chosen to do so, myself. I have loaded my elk onto my truck the last 5 years. 2 times on Public lands. I limit my hunts to easier ground. I have done it,been there and back, by myself. But I had a heart attack a few years back and do not go into hell holes miles back by myself anymore.
I can still hike whenever I wish and am on Public Lands constantly still.
Guess I do not see the "DO NOT HUNT ON Ranches", or whatever deal. If that is what it takes to take a cow where you hunt,I would do it.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back