Yeti GOBOX Collection

I just received my pre-owned 1990-vintage Mossberg 500A1 via Internet order today but some bad news!

TomTeriffic

I bought it at a popular online gun auction marketplace. The site has a G in it and a B in it. I did inspect the gun at my local FFL for transfer before bringing the gun home. At the FFL, I looked down the barrel and there was no rust or pitting. The pictures online made the gun look like it were in mint condition. It has a nice checkered wood stock and a deep blue finish. But here are some troubles as follows:

1. scratch on left-hand side of receiver (partly my fault because I did not notice that the photos at the seller site did not offer full coverage of the gun, if you look at the L/H receiver in the pic, you'll notice that camera focused on the serial number but purposely did not cover the scratches forward on the receiver)

2. the most outrageous thing I've ever seen: there is a choke tube jammed in the chamber end of the barrel!! Can you believe that! What idiot did that, I wonder?
Isn't that something most gun buyers would miss during an inspection? I did not discover this until I got the gun home and tried to dry-cycle some shells through the action to check operation. The gun would not chamber shells. I felt into the chamber area to check for obstructions. Sure enough my pinky felt some notches. I took the barrel off and saw the stupid choke tube lodges in it. I cannot get it out bare handed. Pounding the barrel chamber end down on a 2x4 did not dislodge the choke tube.

Suffice it to say, I gave the seller an F grade on the gun auction site. He had an A+ average, surprisingly. I emailed the seller and asked him what he was going to make good on this otherwise nice gun screwed up a bit. Has anybody here had a bad used firearm purchase experience like this? Would you have thought to check the chamber out for a possible choke tube stuck in it? Who could ever imagine something like this?defect (1).jpgdefect (2).jpggb pics.jpg

Looks like it's set up to shoot 20ga shells. I've seen this before.
Are you serious? Would my gun in that state really chamber and shoot 20-ga. shells? I don't think that is safe to even try. Maybe I should speak to a civil attorney about this.

Are you serious? Would my gun in that state really chamber and shoot 20-ga. shells? I don't think that is safe to even try. Maybe I should speak to a civil attorney about this.
Maybe you should give the seller an opportunity to make it right? It sounds like you just got it and it’s a weekend…. For future reference you might also hold off on rating someone until the transaction is complete, if he makes good on it an F makes you look like an ass.

Gunbroker also has buyer a small buyer protection plan (not sure what you paid) but I don’t imagine it would be much outside of that range.

I'm sure it would be worth getting a lawyer involved for a $300 shotgun. If you are lucky he'll tell you to take him to small claims, if not it will cost you a couple hundred bucks min.

Call Dewy, Cheatem, and Howe. They specialize in eBay fraud.

+1. Does the forearm still wiggle on that heap? Still looks like it’d work for a boat paddle to me.
Yes, the pump still rattles. The pumps also rattled on the Mossy 500 and the Mossy 590 I bought new in the 1990's. The Mossberg pumps do NOT pinch my fingers like my Remmy 870 does when stuffing shells in and pulling them out of the mag tube. The military opted for the Mossy 590. It doesn't go to battle unless it rattles. The looseness in the pump means it won't hang up upon cycling. Throwing this Mossy up to my face, both the front and mid beads line up. Should make a great dove gun if the choke tube can be gotten out of the chamber to save the 28" field barrel.

Maybe you should give the seller an opportunity to make it right? It sounds like you just got it and it’s a weekend…. For future reference you might also hold off on rating someone until the transaction is complete, if he makes good on it an F makes you look like an ass.

Gunbroker also has buyer a small buyer protection plan (not sure what you paid) but I don’t imagine it would be much outside of that range.

The gun was listed as $375 Buy Now price. I bought it now. The total with transfer fee was $457.01. The Buyer Protection Plan has a $100 deductible. I can up the seller's grade depending on what he does for me.

The choke tube in the chamber is both wack and funny!

I've sold and/or purchased about 70 firearms online over the years and it is definitely a gamble. Like my mama used to say; "buying guns online is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get...".

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back