Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

I just can't keep it local

Coyotes-R-Us

You would think???
An agriculture based town would have someplace you could walk in and by some rivets.
I try and try to shop local.
Bobs marina, white bear island Marina, and My Hewescraft dealer,Pacific steel, Steel etcetera, North 40 ( Big R ) Fleet supply, Western ranch supply, Fastenal, Bolt and anchor, Home depot, Pro Build , great falls lumber ,Johnsen Madison, Napa, O'Reilles, Ace. Not a solid aluminum rivet in the city. Fleet had a few steel rivets but nothing I thought would work on the boat. The 3/8 rivets I got are a titch to short they work but I think a 1/2 would work better. I had to order them too. $7 a box of 100 and $12 freight. Finely found some on amazon $13 for 100 and free freight 2 day delivery .
Every thing lately has been that way just cant get anything down the street. A person may as well live in a Unabomber cabin in the wood and just get every thing including grocery's over the computer.

Coyote, I am facing the same dilemma here in Bozeman on certain items, or worse, when a local company offers an outstanding deal, but not in their store or for store pick up, so you have to order online and get it delivered with free shipping. Why not let me pick it up locally for the same price? I had 5 orders in a week and a half from Amazon, that I could not get here in town, including a part for my suburban, and my Staples case of printing paper for $14.99 (orig. $48, I can't afford not to utilize the sale) was just delivered by UPS an hour ago.

Pretty soon the Jetson's cartoon drone delivery will be the cheapest and most reliable way.

This would be funny,if it wasn't a reality.
I have had to become a 'puter user due to location.Was going to order tires online,but all the savings would go to delivery and installation & that would not be under any useful warranty,so It's off to Show Low after I get them ordered.
Hell,Bozeman is a megalopolis compared to Pie Town. And half the time I have to go meet the delivery guy,if they do come.
I have a hard time finding what was once a common hardware item in Albacrackie even.

I feel your pain. Brick and Mortar businesses can't keep up with the internet. Too much overhead. They can only afford to stock stuff that flies off the shelf and for which there is an immediate demand with no consumer patience.

In rural areas, where it's a long trip to town, it could result in a return to the old days when people had the ability to improvise, make or fixed everything on their own. "Grab the bailing wire, Bob, I need to fix this widget!"

Then, they keep saying, "Shop locally". Yeah, right.

If you have the patience and are willing to spend a little more money, it can be done. I personally know merchants, and their spouses and children which make up the local "community". It's a contribution to that community if I can slow down, wait, and spend a little more. But I'm pretty guilty when it comes to saving up my needs for a trip to the city or having my wife order on-line. These are weaknesses which "the market" is fully aware of. No real blame to be placed. It just takes a conscience decision and effort to keep it local. Local merchants will order S for you, mark it up and give you a call when it comes in.

We see our municipality and school board consistently choosing to go outside the tax base, often with under performing equipment and nefariously egregious contractors. They are rather easily dazzled by slick dog and pony shows, while sloganizing constituents to buy local. It's frustrating.

Saw this the other day.... Nevada passed a tax on small businesses last year and had previously not had one so there was not an "internal revenue service" for the state. Rather than set one up IN Nevada to create jobs and balance out the effect of the tax, they outsourced all duties for collection to a company in Los Angeles. Sad but true, the world is becoming smaller, and if you can get something done for less money somewhere else and not have to pay local mark-up, it's hard not too.

We do have a chain of outdoor stores here who consistently deliver pricing below what I can find online and they're opening more stores in the rest of the state so they must be doing alright.... Maybe they can write a book. They carry a light inventory but can order anything for the same in store price and they'll eat the shipping, most places will do that only after you hit a certain threshold for them to still make money on it.

Sorry for getting the train off the tracks.... Just very interesting

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back