Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

I have the balls...

idnative1948

but, no powder/caps.

Having ended up with dads CVA Kentucky .45 and Hawken .50 this fall, I have decided getting back into this may get me out of the house this winter. Neither has been fired for 30+ years, but was put away clean. Of course the .45 will most likely go on the wall as you can no longer shoot anything in Idaho if under .50?

Guessing I should start from scratch and pull the barrels/plugs for major cleaning/inspection?

Also what powder and caps are now the norm for these?

Any help would be appreciated.

FF powder and #11 caps should do the trick. I've always been partial to Goex, but the swiss BP is a good powder as well.

Good plan on pulling the barrels and plugs and cleaning. After that long, a thorough scrubbing is needed.

Thanks Ben! Anybody else want to chime in? Pretty much what a friend of mine told me. Waiting for a call back from my nephew in Indiana on the .45 seeing as how no use to me here.
Didn't have time today to see what their specks are, so emailed him.

ID1948,

Your .45 is still acceptable for deer and antelope. You have to use .50 for elk.

ID1948,

Your .45 is still acceptable for deer and antelope. You have to use .50 for elk.

Well, I'll be a SOB! Guess I should have/should be reading the regs closer! I haven't used it for years because of what I thought I read. I was ready to give it away. This changes things up for this year. Better go get some powder and get some practice in. THANKS!

I own 2 inline muzzleloaders, but I also own an old school cap lock that I love shooting. It keeps me honest when I hunt with it cuz it's only good out to about 50 yards or so...lol

.45 should be plenty for deer within 50-75 yards. I've always been happy with Goex powder but the Swiss Powder is supposed to be a little better stuff (burns hotter and cleaner). Goex FFg is still my go to for consistency. I hear Graf's black powder isn't too bad and is supposed to be comparable to the Elephant powder that was once available.

I switched to using CCI Musket Caps for my .54 Hawken after hunting late season deer in NE. Once upon a time Remington No 11 caps weren't hot enough but I'd wager that things are nearly equal now.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T_allen7
Back