I’m ignorant, and I have questions

Harrier

i decided to buy an entry-level used inline muzzleloader because it seemed like a good idea at the time, and now I’m realizing I don’t know what I don’t know etc.

It’s a Traditions .50 cal model made in Spain with a 1 in 32” twist. The guy I bought it from knows nothing about it. There is no model name on it but it looks similar to the Tracker or Buckhunter — it has a bolt rather than a break open action. Nothing came with the gun, so I’ve ordered a breech plug wrench and cleaning kit. Everything appears clean-ish, but I can’t get the breech cap off yet, though I haven’t tried too hard.

In the meantime, is there a way I can find out which caps or primers I’m supposed to use? How much does it matter? Any insights would be welcome.

Attachments

• FFC440F7-A779-42F4-B4D4-FFC7FE8D4935.jpeg
    FFC440F7-A779-42F4-B4D4-FFC7FE8D4935.jpeg
    86.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 2F2CAD6D-AFC7-4577-B69E-784FC5CDCA0B.jpeg
    2F2CAD6D-AFC7-4577-B69E-784FC5CDCA0B.jpeg
    98.3 KB · Views: 20
No idea on what specific model that is, but I'm guessing it's old enough that it probably took No. 11 percussion caps from the factory. It's possible that it was converted to 209 shotgun primers at some point (that's what almost all inlines produced now use). Also, as you're finding out, rule number 1 of muzzleloaders is don't buy a used one. They're notoriously not taken care of well and it's easy to get a ruined bore, especially on one you can't easily look down the barrel of.

Does it have a nipple that a cap would fit on or a hole a 209 primer would fit in. Some inlines required a disk or something similar to place the ignition device in. Someone will be along with the correct information you need.

Looks like an open breach system. If you pull the bolt back you will see where the primer will go. Pull the trigger, bolt flies forward igniting the primer and boom.

Search on the Traditions website for an owner's manual and use that to see if there is something you've missed. If you have no luck, take it to a pro you trust. Gunsmiths often have better tools than you and they aren't as likely to damage a gun like the DIY attempt. If you clear the plug from the breech, check the barrel/bore condition to gauge whether it has promise or if it's a hopeless rusty mess.

I recommend using an anti-seizure compound on the plug threads for future use and most muzzleloader companies offer something that will work. Also, consider a new plug so you can swap them as needed. My brother had a similar Traditions rifle and had the same issue. I think he moved it to the back of the safe and hasn't fired it in a long time.

Also, as you're finding out, rule number 1 of muzzleloaders is don't buy a used one.
Lesson learned, but I’m cautiously optimistic this will still be a win overall.

Thanks everyone for your help (and also not chiding me for picking up a “truck store knife”). I was able to get the breech cap off with a little oil and padded channel locks. The cap threads are in good shape. The bolt, striker and spring all came out OK. The internal bolt surfaces are a little crusty — is it OK to clean them up with gun oil or should I wait on the solvents I ordered?

Still also waiting on the breech plug tool, but I can see that the nipple seems to be in relatively good shape. The bore is dirty but with a light I can see well-defined rifling and brightness under the dirt. I’ve run only dry patches down so far; again, waiting on the solvents.

I don’t mind working on guns, and I’ve rehabbed several old milsurp centerfire rifles, so if at the end of this I have something that can kill a deer/hog/coyote/javelina at 100 yards, it will be worth what I paid.

What do you mean breach cap?

More pics lof the action would help. Odds are it's a standard cap. Nothing wrong with that type of introduction type rifle. The traditions triggers are rough. Otherwise it has all the same parts. If you find you like muzz hunting. Trip it down the road and put towards something better. I have a traditions like that one I used to shoot a few deer. Worked fine.

What do you mean breach cap?

More pics lof the action would help.
Also known as the bolt spring cap, shown here in the manual (thanks for that tip .270 Rem).

Attachments

• 300AC75E-1284-4E7E-B803-0868565211B0.jpeg
    300AC75E-1284-4E7E-B803-0868565211B0.jpeg
    119.9 KB · Views: 15
I had a buckhunter years ago and it looks like a newer version of my old one. If so mine used No 11 caps unless they upgraded the breach plug in the new versions. It was my first muzzy also. It took lots of deer for me in my younger days.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back