I finally got it.

JJackson

So I finally got a tag for DL029. I had originally planned on staying at Calder Mountain Lodge since my wife would be with me. Is it feasible to stay there, or is there some where that would be better. She doesn't like the idea of the forest service cabins so that would be a last resort.

Thanks for any info.

Black bear, DL 029 is Kuiu Island.

I'll give you a first hand report when I finish my hunt there in May.

Thanks for the info Randy, and good luck to both of you on your hunts! I thought Bear was DB, shows my lack of knowledge - I do OTC tag hunts in AK, so was taking a guess. :)

I love your show. I have been trying to do this hunt for a couple of years now. It all started with your show a few years back. I am super excited, this will be our first trip to AK and I can't think of a better way to experience it.

Drew the DL029 tag for this fall as well. Haven't figured much else out other than I plan to have deer and wolf tags in my pocket as well. Anybody know if there are areas that I should concentrate/avoid if looking for both deer and bear? I'll keep a couple (up to 5 allowed) wolf tags just for the sake of having them.

I know of both Forestry cabins and may end up there, but one of the transporters I talked to said it would probably be better to tent camp in a more remote bay (Threemile, Pillars, etc). Tenting it in an area that has 4 bears per square mile seems like asking for trouble, but doable with at least a second person (which I am currently missing if anybody else is in the same boat).

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back