Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

I feel lower than a bowlegged caterpillar

Thanks guys. Seems like this happens when bird hunting. Losing game is not cool with me, so if I do hunt birds solo again, I'll limit myself to high percentage shots in spots I can get them.

If anyone in the Helena area has dogs and wants to get them on some birds, let me know, I'd be happy to take you to where I got into them.
Consider contacting a local scent tracking dog group for help. There are a few in Montana - and I seem to recall Newberg interviewing the guy from Orion coolers on the Hunt Hunt podcast (ep 107 after a few bumbling google searches). Just a resource to consider - I feel your pain man. Thank you for getting back out there.

It happens and it sucks.

A few years back my dog went on point. My buddy and I walked up to him and a rooster got up 10 feet in front of us. It was textbook. We both shot at the exact same time and it was like slow motion watching that bird explode. We both looked at each other like "Oh $&!t, we should have let it get farther away." I walked the 25' to where the bird fell expecting to find a completely mangled carcass of a bird. 1 hour later with 4 guys and 3 dogs we walked away, unable to find that rooster. To this day I absolutely can't understand how that bird got away after we nearly vaporized it.

I'm currently without a hunting dog and am uneasy chasing birds without one for the simple fact that I know a relatively high percentage of the birds I shoot I will not recover.

I don't get the glorification of bull snakes. If I was hunting a pasture full of gophers, it would get a pass. I've never seen a gopher in the wilderness area where I shot this one. Got fat eating ground nesting birds and cottontails, things I want to eat. I'd shoot it again given the chance.

Folks get fat from eating the things you like, too. When do you start shooting people?🤔

NRs or residents?
Kidding, in case that wasn't clear. To each their own.

I just don't buy into arbitrary rules for what I can hunt and what I can't. If it's legal and tasty, I'll hunt it. Wiser men than me make the rules.

But if it makes you feel better, this snake was 6 months behind on his alimony payments, had numerous unpaid tickets, and cheated on his taxes. Very bad snake.

Bull snakes control mice,voles, gophers.
They also take out rattlers.
Thats why they are good snakes.
Again, wilderness area. Not interested in varmit control in an undisturbed, natural environment. Bull snakes on the farm get a pass. Bull snakes 3 miles and 1500 vertical ft from the nearest road, they get to be dinner.

Those are my ethos. Won't change any minds on here. I appreciate other's perspectives and I did consider the points you made. Very thankful for this community

Sadly, I've lost more pheasants than I care to admit. I hunt in thick cover and have a dog that is serviceable, but not great (my bad training). I try to take good shots and keep my eye where they fall. It happens, and it sucks.

I don't get the glorification of bull snakes. If I was hunting a pasture full of gophers, it would get a pass. I've never seen a gopher in the wilderness area where I shot this one. Got fat eating ground nesting birds and cottontails, things I want to eat. I'd shoot it again given the chance.
I packed horses for the Forest Service out of Helena back in the eighties. That area around Mann Gulch where the smoke jumpers burned up way back when was a snakey place! Good lord. Riding through that last meadow before the trailhead at dusk I just avoided looking down. Buggers were slithering everywhere. And big ones. A couple rattled off to the side here and there but I kept moving. So many snakes they must have been eating each other.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back