I drew NM!! unit 52 archery... Any pointers??

Schm,

You have mail
wink.gif

I've spent some time in 52 and adjacent 4. Need to check the website and see if I drew for bulls in unit 52. Your scoop on the quality of bulls in 52 is correct. The best I've seen were raggy 6 pointers. Passed up several of them and dozens of cows when carrying an mature bull/antlerless tag a couple of years ago. However, I don't agree with the comparison to CO and not just because I live here. I find lots of elk, including big bulls, every year. You just have to know the hunting areas, but that should be no secret. Until I learned my hunting areas I also thought CO was pretty low class. That said, I will readily admit that I greatly love hunting NM, probably more so than CO.

One tip on unit 52. Be careful to note the contour interval of the USGS topos for this area. I was terrified of the place until I scouted it, saw relatively flat meadows, and realized that the maps were based on a ten or twenty foot interval and looked much worse than it is!!! The place is beautiful and indeed loaded with elk, deer, and antelope. I also saw black bear and turkey.

Drop me a note and I'll be glad to give specifics.

Back