I dont know what I would do without my full sized pickup truck

Oh contraire mi amigo's! I couldn't give a pile of poop less what the costs are over X number of years or miles. I'll see my Super Duty outlast your toy-oty trucks 3 to 1. You load up that Yoty truck to the max, throw it on a trailer and the FORD will drag it down the road with little to no performance or mileage difference.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Yeah but I can start my truck when it’s cold and drive down a 2 track without giving myself brain damage, so…

Yeah... I mean couple more years and I could be the unwilling owner of a Hanoverian and the accoutrements

but that doesn't mean I have to think it's a good use of our money.

One could argue it is as wise a use of money as all the various expenses big game hunting involves.

I think they are equally wise.

why you taking her side bro

I think it might have been when you pointed out the expense of driving full size trucks.

It sounds like you might learn the cost yourself.

Years ago, not long after I had purchased my first horse, a guy asked me what it cost to own a horse. So, I asked him, you mean everything? Yeah, he said. The number I came up with from the top of my head, $10k/year. He looked stunned. So I told him, there is the price of the horse, the diesel truck, the horse trailer, the saddles and tack, vet bills, farrier bills, boarding bills yada, yada. That was a good while ago. You being in a higher cost area and inflation over the last number of years, the number for you might well need recalculation.

Now, the marginal cost of additional horses is less. Economy of scale, you know.

My toyota has ~270k as well...

Fuel costs using various price assumptions over the lifetime of the vehicle.
View attachment 233798

You also have a huge difference in MSRP + consumable parts like tires (usually 4x+ more expensive on a truck) and then a steep difference in maintenance. Also taxes.

I think likely the cost difference of owning the two vehicles over that time frame is probably ~$75,000- 100,000.

Let's say you are like Buzz and kill 3 elk a year, and like Buzz do that every year for 20 years in that truck. You're paying like $1500 per elk.

Definitely cheaper than renting llamas, if you hunting that much ;) and if your using it for work/construction other rec activities you can make the truck cheaper... just depends.

What's really crazy is folks who lease, drive sports cars, or get new cars under 50k miles.

People wonder where their money goes but it's pretty easy to burn $500,000 on vehicles in 20 years, and not notice or not think you're being particularly careless with you money. That's mostly the point of my table, I don't think many people think that way when they are walking around the dealership.

And yes my wife think's I ruin everything and am really frustrating to shop with.

Great fuzzy math. Even if the cost is close to what you posted, you got to get tired of driving with a paper bag over your head so that nobody recognizes you in that pseudo-truck with 32 mpg…

I think it might have been when you pointed out the expense of driving full size trucks.

It sounds like you might learn the cost yourself.

Years ago, not long after I had purchased my first horse, a guy asked me what it cost to own a horse. So, I asked him, you mean everything? Yeah, he said. The number I came up with from the top of my head, $10k/year. He looked stunned. So I told him, there is the price of the horse, the diesel truck, the horse trailer, the saddles and tack, vet bills, farrier bills, boarding bills yada, yada. That was a good while ago. You being in a higher cost area and inflation over the last number of years, the number for you might well need recalculation.

Now, the marginal cost of additional horses is less. Economy of scale, you know.
I think that number is a pretty good WAG, it's also a good explanation of why guide/drop camp etc operations cost what they do... outfitters have a lot of costs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah but I can start my truck when it’s cold and drive down a 2 track without giving myself brain damage, so…
Mine will fire up at 0* with zero issues and it doesn't belch and fart until it warms up. I'll give you the less than limo quality ride part. The part about brain damage I'll just leave alone,,,,,

Mine will fire up at 0* with zero issues and it doesn't belch and fart until it warms up. I'll give you the less than limo quality ride part. The part about brain damage I'll just leave alone,,,,,
I’ve driven a lot of 2 track miles with early 2000s F250s. Brain damage is the best way to describe the beating those trucks hand out off road. I don’t need to tow 10,000 plus pounds so I’ll happily take a comfortable half ton instead.

I’ve driven a lot of 2 track miles with early 2000s F250s. Brain damage is the best way to describe the beating those trucks hand out off road. I don’t need to tow 10,000 plus pounds so I’ll happily take a comfortable half ton instead.
I JUST FIGURED IT OUT!! Your trying to blame a rough ride on a truck instead of learning to drive smoothly? The brain damage does explain the purchase of the wannabe sort-a-truck. 😵

Ford fans are touchy. Of course driving one of those made me irritable too.
Yup, you have no idea what it's like to be surrounded by 'yota cult members! We are always trying to defend ourselves against those that have convinced themselves that they have a real truck. I always try to remember that 90% of toyoties are still on the road. The other 10% actually made it home.

Agreed. I have driven 3500 Rams since 03. my business rig is a Tahoe. Then get in a one ton even with Carli coils/leafs and fox shocks, still rattles your kidneys.

But one day, I decided to fix it. One word. Kelderman.…like riding on pillows. Best of both worlds, tow 24k and have half ton ride.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Killcarp2
Back