I dont know what I would do without my full sized pickup truck

My daily driver, when I go somewhere, is an F350 Super Duty diesel 4x4. I don't regret a single fill-up over it's last 270k at 12.6 mpg. When I ask it to do something it does it and very well. You can have all those wannabe soccer mom Toyotas.

I firmly believe that if you had folks type into a program the specs they need for a vehicle...clearance, MPG, torque, towing capacity, volume, etc that was rank ordered... so I need X mpg and but I also want X towing capacity and towing capacity is more important than MPG and then they were matched with the vehicle closest to that criteria most folks would be shocked at what they got.

Vehicle purchases, like all consumer goods in the US have very little to do with practicality and usage patterns and everything to do with marketing.
At 370k with new Trans it still doing what I need.
The van tows 24" loaded campers, handles a lot of heavy furniture, tools and lumber. Outback off rodes have been no problem. I've volunteered for hospital emergency driving. With the ATV in the back it powers through 3' snow.
But then again drivers ability is everything.
Last everything is dry and no one sees dead critters in the back.

Last edited:
My daily driver, when I go somewhere, is an F350 Super Duty diesel 4x4. I don't regret a single fill-up over it's last 270k at 12.6 mpg. When I ask it to do something it does it and very well. You can have all those wannabe soccer mom Toyotas.
My toyota has ~270k as well...

Fuel costs using various price assumptions over the lifetime of the vehicle.
1660336728297.png

You also have a huge difference in MSRP + consumable parts like tires (usually 4x+ more expensive on a truck) and then a steep difference in maintenance. Also taxes.

I think likely the cost difference of owning the two vehicles over that time frame is probably ~$75,000- 100,000.

Let's say you are like Buzz and kill 3 elk a year, and like Buzz do that every year for 20 years in that truck. You're paying like $1500 per elk.

Definitely cheaper than renting llamas, if you hunting that much ;) and if your using it for work/construction other rec activities you can make the truck cheaper... just depends.

What's really crazy is folks who lease, drive sports cars, or get new cars under 50k miles.

People wonder where their money goes but it's pretty easy to burn $500,000 on vehicles in 20 years, and not notice or not think you're being particularly careless with you money. That's mostly the point of my table, I don't think many people think that way when they are walking around the dealership.

And yes my wife think's I ruin everything and am really frustrating to shop with.

Last edited:
My toyota has ~270k as well...

Fuel costs using various price assumptions over the lifetime of the vehicle.
View attachment 233798

You also have a huge difference in MSRP + consumable parts like tires and then a steep difference in maintenance. Also taxes.

I think likely the cost difference of owning the two vehicles over that time frame is probably ~$75,000- 100,000.

Let's say you are like Buzz and kill 3 elk a year, and like Buzz do that every year for 20 years in that truck. You're paying like $1500 per elk.

Definitely cheaper than renting llamas, if you hunting that much ;) and if your using it for work/construction other rec activities you can make the truck cheaper... just depends.

What's really crazy is folks who lease, drive sports cars, or get new cars under 50k miles.

People wonder where their money goes but it's pretty easy to burn $500,000 on vehicles in 20 years, and not notice or think you're being particularly careless with you money. That's mostly the point of my table, I don't think many people think that way when they are walking around the dealership.

And yes my wife think's I ruin everything and am really frustrating to shop with.

As an owner of two oil burners, the ONLY time the milage is 12.6mpg is when towing horses. Running down the highway at 70mph they both get 20mpgish. The newer one get a little better, but the DEF needed washes out the fuel savings.

When I tried to haul a horse with a half ton Suburban I got 8mpg, it would get 16mpg unencumbered.

So how many horses can a guy tow with a 32mpg rig?

There's your problem. Let's tackle one poor investment choice at a time sir. ;)
I was fishing for bass along a ritzy lakeshore in college. Cruising along in my 12' Sears jonboat with a buddy, throwing jerk baits under docks, nursing a hangover and not having much success. There was dock with a yellow floatplane tied up to it. The house was a modest mansion, beautifully landscaped. As we approached the dock an old man came down from the house, with a cup of coffee and watched us approach, just as we were getting a little nervous that he might find fault in us fishing under his dock he asks, "catch any?" We lighten up and he asks if we're going to college, and for what, just the normal stuff. My buddy says, "Nice plane." The guy turns, looks at it, says, "yeah, she's not too bad. Costs a helluva lot of money to keep her maintained." We nod. There's a bit of silence and we're just slipping past his place. He half turns then turns back, "you boys want a little advise?" "Sure" "if it flies, floats, for ****s, it's cheaper to rent." Turns and walks off. Great advise. I didn't follow it, but the theory is sound.

...anyway the point is, he clearly never owned a horse.

Oh contraire mi amigo's! I couldn't give a pile of poop less what the costs are over X number of years or miles. I'll see my Super Duty outlast your toy-oty trucks 3 to 1. You load up that Yoty truck to the max, throw it on a trailer and the FORD will drag it down the road with little to no performance or mileage difference.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

There are only a few more enjoyable ways to go through money than horses.

Some of those aren't legal, and others a guy just ages out.
Yeah... I mean couple more years and I could be the unwilling owner of a Hanoverian and the accoutrements

but that doesn't mean I have to think it's a good use of our money.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Debbry64
Back