Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Hybrid 100V - 280 AI

I tried it a few years ago with a Barnes 145LRX. Never got the 100V to work well. Ended up running 7828ssc with that bullet.

I've used it with great success in 7mm Rem MAg and in 270 win Should be able to find something that will work in your 280 I would think.. Not that much difference between the Mag and the AI..

I am running Barnes 150gr TTSX and it was only running about 2875fps 60 grains H4831sc. Took a cow elk at 420yards this year.

Never tried that. Tried RL19, RL17, RL22, RL23, H4831SC. RL19 with 160 Nosler Accubonds was the winner. RL23 with 143 grain Hammer Hunters is the current winner.

Never tried that. Tried RL19, RL17, RL22, RL23, H4831SC. RL19 with 160 Nosler Accubonds was the winner. RL23 with 143 grain Hammer Hunters is the current winner.
I actually just stumbled across some RL23. Swung into Bob Wards entirely on a whim to see if they had anything else since last week and they did. I got their last pound of it. Did you try anything else with RL23?

Also, a guy I work with, the kind of guy that if his house caught fire it would blow up half the block, said he'd sell me a couple pounds of RL22. Any recommendations?

Good find. I stop at BW, three bears, Murdoch’s regularly and haven’t been that lucky. I never tried 23 with any other bullet in the 280ai.

I load for a Christensen ridgeline in 300wm for a buddy and tried 23 but found 22 to be better with 165 grain nosler accubonds he wanted to shoot.

I have 20 - 145 grain LRX and 42 - 150 grain Nosler Etips I’ll never use if you want them to give a try.

I actually just stumbled across some RL23. Swung into Bob Wards entirely on a whim to see if they had anything else since last week and they did. I got their last pound of it. Did you try anything else with RL23?

Also, a guy I work with, the kind of guy that if his house caught fire it would blow up half the block, said he'd sell me a couple pounds of RL22. Any recommendations?
Tried both and RL23 was the clear winner with 160g bullets.

I just did my paperwork last night on a new CA Ridgeline in 280 AI. I have been reading a bunch online and hand loaders seem to love the RL 23. Quite a few guys also recommended R19. I'm starting off with H4350 because that's what I have a supply of currently. Although powder is crazy hard to find, projectiles were readily available. Not sure what bullets you're going with. I'm trying out the Hornady ELD X in 162 and 150 grain, Accubonds 140, LR Accubonds in 150 and Barnes TTSX 150.

Looks like that H100V falls in between RL 17 / H4350 and RL 19 so I would say in the ballpark for 150s

I have some 160gn Accubonds and 160gn Federal TBTs; do you mind telling me what the charge weight was with RL23?
I gave all of the load data back to the owner when he decided 3/4” groups wasn’t good enough. Someone else reloads for him now and he gets 3/4” groups and is happy. Go figure

I posted some of it on here a while back, the search function may be able to dig it up if you have the time.

Im generally pretty happy with 3/4 MOA. I actually have a .308 load that is consistently 1/2 MOA or better. Every time I shoot that I go away with thinking , "why do I shoot anything else". Then after an hour or so that oscillates to, "why can't I get all my rifles to do that".

Found it, I used RL26 with 160’s and RL23 with the 150’s. RL26 was too slow for a 150 and shot a fireball out the brake.

Back