Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

HuntTalk Podcast

With regard to the topic you brought up in podcast #2 about bonus points and draw odds. At 30 years old, with almost 10 points for sheep, goat, and moose here in WA, I just made the decision to stop applying. I talked to our local fish and wildlife manager who provided some additional data so I could crunch my own numbers and odds. It didn't take long to see that I almost certainly will never draw those tags in my life, at least not with the bonus point system in place. I simply got started too late in life. So when you and Dan talked about does it discourage younger hunters from applying, I'd respond that it depends on how close they've looked at the odds. I used to think that if I kept applying for a point I'd get drawn, but when you look at the numbers, and determined if you didn't start getting points as soon as possible you're probably SOL. That being said there is still a chance, and it possible that no matter how small the chance people will still apply, after all you can't win if you don't apply. But for me, I'd prefer to save the money for another trip, or transfer to a state where my odds are better (idaho).

Finally caught the last one on Stitcher. Tons of info gained for discussion and would love to share a campfire with Bernie and a cigar. My kind of guy (another curmudgeon like me).

Just listened to the first two today, and really enjoyed them! Learned a lot and will be looking forward to the future ones.

Looks like EXO Mountaingear started up a podcast now too. I'm noticing on a few of these that they are getting the same people on them as guests close to the same times. My list is growing...so far,

MeatEater
The Gritty Bowmen
HuntTalk Radio
Hunt Backcountry (I haven't listened to this one yet)
Rich Outdoors
Jay Scott Outdoors
Outdoors International
Joe Rogan (Just have to pick through them on here and find ones you like)

Thanks for that list. I feel I'm late to the podcast game and appreciate the options beside Randy's and Steve's shows.

One quick data point on the podcast... a few days ago I had never heard of FreshTracks, or Randy. I don't watch many hunting shows (only MeatEater and one or two others) but I'm a lifelong, obsessive compulsive hunter. I heard Randy on the MeaterEater podcast, then found his podcast, and then discovered Fresh Tracks and this forum from there.

I heard FDFT is going to have a podcast as well, should start soon. Sounds like everyone is jumping on the bandwagon...I'm seeing a lot of repeat guests on multiple podcasts. That will get old after awhile I think. I'm looking for the guy who will have some out of the box guests...not just big names.

I think I am up to date....my question even got answered! I subscribed and enjoy them a lot.

I have now started listening to other podcasts and one of the other ones made me want to reach through the airways and throw an asshat on the host and guest. They kept talking about how it was important to know a certain hunting skill. They literally said that 6 times. And never elaborated on how to actually do it. No pointers, nothing. just 6 times on how everyone should know this. I was left hanging there and it actually made me not want to listen to that podcast anymore. So, if you are going to tell someone how important something is, tell them how to do it or at least your version of how to do it.

An example. If you were an aspiring quarterback and you picked out a podcast on passing the football and they kept telling you how important a tight spiral was, yet never mentioned in the least bit how to do it....you would be pretty frustrated.

Record book blacktails...yadda, yadda, yadda... Where are the podcast goods?! ;)

Podcasts 1-3 were good. Number four was amazing. Very moving how well he describes things I have known and wanted to convey but with no words to do so. Thank you so much for that episode.

Mike

Just getting to the end of the podcast with Shane Mahoney. Wow. What a great advocate for hunting and conservation. Thanks Randy and Janis. I could listen to him speak for hours.

Episode 6

Just listened to ep 6. Laughed out loud more than once.
Please do another one like this!

Thanks.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back