Hunt'n above the Arctic Circle.Part I

Daniel in Ak

Thought I'd take a power run up north for 'bou last week,since it opened July 1st and I heard of some nice bulls migrating thru...
So after work on Thursday I loaded up and headed out and stopped at the Circle for a self portrait :)
ArcticCircle.jpg

After about six hours of driving I stopped just shy of the Brooks Range where I took a three hour power nap on my power run and this was about as dark as the sunset got.
f307c4f9.jpg

Finally got into Caribou country and I saw squat for the next 140 miles......until I had a flash back of the Ice Age.......
f307c38e.jpg

Saw this lone bull Musk Ox and man what an absolute thrill it was to see such an animal.Let alone sneek up to it and smell the same odor that the Ice man surely did 10,000 years ago.
f307c30b.jpg

I snuck up to about60 yards from him and he paid no nevr mind to me,and walked over to the bluff over looking the river and majestically stood there observing his country.
f307c29b.jpg

Well in all I saw 54 adult Musk-Ox infour different herds and I swear I saw one cow with twin claves.And on my retrun leg from Prudhoe Bay I finally spotted a meat bull which I freaking staklked and missed at thirty yards ( long story and it gets my blood boiling,ratt'n-fratt'n no good argh!)
f307c68f.jpg

Part II

Good thing I missed him as I found this bull 4 miles up the road 80 yards off the road.
f307c61d.jpg

Long story short,after a two and a half hour ring around the posey and stalk,not to mention I belly crawled 173 yards to get 50 yards from him and was unable to do anythinig else except whatch him mosey along into oblivion.
f307c5eb.jpg

Maybe he was headed of into the hills to escape the wrath of the knats,skeeters and the likes of me.
f307bbb1.jpg

Well,so much for that.I might as well head on home and spend one day with the family before heading back to working six days a week,and this was my camp from that night.This picture was taken about 9 pm.
f307bb40.jpg

And I thought I'd show ya the pipeline and what type of country we deal with up north.
f307c09a.jpg

And lastly here I sit atop the Brooks Range in Atigun Pass looking south towards the pipeline.
f307bd13.jpg

And thats how I ended my trip.Saw some beautiful country,had great weather,saw a beast that survived the Ice Age and got to play with the Caribou.......man you gotta love it? I sure did.

WTF! man I previewed and they all came up just fine.Dang help a brother out here moosie.Im not going thru this posting shi...stuff again,Im to tired :) Come to think of it them red x's sure are purdy!

Ahhh...home. Thanks for the pics Daniel. Brings back plenty of memories.

Daniel
I will fix the pics for ya.

leave them there o I can dload them, cool pics

Delw

Daniel..Great pictures..Thanks for sharing...

They make me want to get back up there...Last time I visited was in '02..

I'm planning a trip for '07, and there is a possibility I will make it up there next year also ..Still in the "negotiating" stage with my "chairman (woman) of the board".... :D ....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back