Hunting Shoes

they're usually fairly easy to find those times of year. the scent gives their location away. sometimes you can find an old one by itself, perched upside down on a fence post. caliber dosn't matter much. if your really brave, you can get in real close and stab one with a knife. they don't eat real ggod though.....

just a couple more quick tips..... road hunting works real well too as they congregate in borrow pits after the snow falls. and if your'e really sporting, there are some wingshooting opportunities - head into town with that 28 gauge you hardly ever get a chance to justify to the wife. look up in the powerlines, if your lucky you might get a shot at a matching pair swinging in the breeze:D this was fun, let's do it again sometime.

Grizzley, since I made fun , and nobody else out of 69 views replied - I feel obliged. Keep in mind I hunt high country for blue grouse, eastern MT for antelope, and usually hike long distances for pheasants in "the fall". Thus I like good ankle support, full leather, and no insulation. My main boots are Kenetrek non insulated mountain's and a solid pair of all leather Lowa backpacking boots. The Kenetreks are the more comfortable of the two but I had a quality problem and the company was less than helpful...still like the boots though. The Lowa's are rock solid. Hunting ND country, your ankle condition, and feet "heat" situation may well dictate different dawgs for your feets....

I have had good luck with Merrell hiking boots. I am currently running around in the Outland mid. This also comes in a low version. They have a wide selection of styles and you won't go wrong with any of them for trekking around in the badlands.

Last year during bow season I hunted in these. I spent the summer getting used to them and then just hunted. I probably put on somewhere in the neighborhood of 50-75 miles in the high country in them and did not have one problem. They are super quiet. With all of the beetle kill where we are and as warm as it was it was like walking on corn chips and these made it a lot quieter. This is not a joke. I also run between 15 and 20 miles a week in them. Barefoot Rocks

http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/products/Five-Fingers-KSO-Trek-Mens.htm

I have also had good luck with the Merrill hikers when the weather is good. Pretty comfrotable, but I think that they wear out fairly quick.

I have also had good luck with the Merrill hikers when the weather is good. Pretty comfrotable, but I think that they wear out fairly quick.

Same experience I had, comfortable but very dissapointed in how they held up. Believe it or not the best pair of light hikers I've had were a pair of NIKE hikers with Gortex. I wore them chasing elk in September and really liked them.

The New Balance MO 1000 has promise. I have a pair of North Face hikers that work well for hunting until the snow falls and it looks like the NBs will work better with some white stuff on the ground.

Back