Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Hunting Rifle Purgatory

A little late to the discussion. I am no ballistics expert but the 6.5 CM has nothing over the 264 or the 270 in my opinion. As per others I would look at the 284 and 308 magnum calibers for a new rifle. You want distance if I read correctly and non magnum 284 and 308 would not really gain you much over what the 270 can do (I say this being a huge 30-06 fan BTW)

Fun discussion. Will be interesting to see what you get.

I'm sure by now you've gleaned whatever rifle you buy will be both the right one and the wrong one. Let's try and move forward in the discussion and help the OP select tires for his truck which will be needed for his upcoming hunts. What brand of truck do you drive again?😁
I can't argue this logic but at the same time the OP could get an idea of the most preferred options based on consensus. Of course a poll would have made it easier. Or maybe he wanted to start a long thread :p

I do agree ask 5 hunters/shooters their opinion and get 6 opinions.

Asking the truck brand in a tire discussion will probably generate more opinions on truck brand vs tires, but somehow I think you are aware of that.

Shooting paper does get boring and too much likely contributes to physical debilitation. Practicing offhand shooting at 200 and 300 yards also keeps things interesting- and challenging. Great confidence builder too. Nothing like shooting tight groups consistently offhand . Especially when there are all the prone and bench shooters that think they are hot shots(pardon the pun), whom walk around giving advice. Until you challenge them to shoot a nice group offhand and they walk away with their head down with their tail between their legs. Lol. Those are some of the best moments at a gun range. Or when the range officers are telling you you are the best offhand shot at this place. Those moments not only make range time fun and interesting, but also come in handy out in the field on a moment’s notice.
Fair to the quarry too I may add.Not that you will take unsupported shots on a hunt, but knowing if ones pops up within 100-to 150,or on the move, you will handily and ethically harvest the quarry.
Forgive us for this temporary but interesting diversion. I agree, proficiency shooting off the bench is no guarantee the shooter will be able to apply that expertise in the field. You enjoy the competitive aspect of range shooting. A good thing to build on social interaction. As a former HS coach I appreciate that. Oddly, I'm not much for socializing. I shoot a lot at the trap/skeet range (+2,000 rounds/yr) but mostly because I enjoy breaking moving targets. I am nearly deaf without ear protection and really can't carry on any kind of conversation once the muffs are on so little social benefit. I shoot well, especially for a guy who's old and literally half blind. Has it made a big difference in the field? Not much for birds. I always shot them well anyway and there's a world of difference between shooting wild birds vs clay targets travelling a known trajectory. But I will admit the trap range has significantly sharpened my skill shooting game on the run with my Springfield. I have become surprisingly deadly.

Hope this doesn't derail a worthy thread. I should have popped him a message instead and would have if I could figure out how to make this smarter-than-me phone cut and paste. Apologies to the original poster.

I agree with most on here that you don't really "need" a new gun. I think the .270, and especially the .264 win mag, are among the best long range antelope and mule deer calibers you can buy. I don't think the 6.5cm and 28 Nosler give you much of anything you don't already have.

However, you don't want to waste a green-light opportunity to buy a new gun. :) If you wanted to "step up" to a caliber that is a little more authoritative on elk while also expanding your gun library in a logical way, I'd suggest something in a .30 caliber. For me, it would be a .308 or 30-06. Any good gun collection should have at least one of those in it. I don't necessarily recommend any gun for 500 yard shots on an animal, but if I were to take a 500 yard shot, I would want to do so after a LOT of range time with that gun. Whenever ammo is available again, .308 and 30-06 ammo can be found at reasonable prices at almost any place that sells ammo and a day at the range won't leave you with a dislocated shoulder, lessening the likelihood of developing a flinch.
I have a winchester model 70 in .264 win mag and it is a close second to my favorite 7mm rem mag. The only difference for me is the amount of loads and ammo that is available between the two. Far more choices with the 7mm. The .264 was the created for what you are trying to do and was pretty much the standard until remington came in with the 7mm. If it were me I would upgrade what you have including the optics and maybe the trigger or stock unless they are a tack driver already. My buddy bought a 300 PRC Christensen Arms Ridgeline two years ago and when he initially shot it, he loved it but now he is thinking about parting ways with it due to price of ammo and overkill for where we hunt and that the 300 PRC Ridgeline shoots just as well as one of his savage 6.5 PRC does which cost under $1,000 compared to over $2,000 for the 300 PRC.

I’m sure Hornady would just love for many to believe that- lol. The differences are sooooo negligible. Also I don’t hang on the edge of my seat listening to every breath of Von Benedict. Yeah, I read that one somewhere. And I guess the military will eventually make up there mind for special snipers between 300 Norma and 300 PRC. Not to mention they still use 300 win mag. The overlap out there is quite redundant, even somewhat laughable.LMAO.😂🤣😆
It always amazes me when people take these op-Ed pieces as gospel. Whether about rifles or other things in life.
Who said anything about it being gospel? Did you see anything in his article that is wrong?

I’m sure Hornady would just love for many to believe that- lol. The differences are sooooo negligible. Also I don’t hang on the edge of my seat listening to every breath of Von Benedict. Yeah, I read that one somewhere. And I guess the military will eventually make up there mind for special snipers between 300 Norma and 300 PRC. Not to mention they still use 300 win mag. The overlap out there is quite redundant, even somewhat laughable.LMAO.😂🤣😆
What differences? And who said anything about listening to every breath of Von Benedict? I think he drew out some good aspects of each cartridge and gives a buyer something to think about.

What differences? And who said anything about listening to every breath of Von Benedict? I think he drew out some good aspects of each cartridge and gives a buyer something to think about.
Don't listen to Vinootz. He only likes a cartridge that sends bullets with the BC of a brick. Everything else is "redundant". mtmuley

No disagreement here. When I hunted elk in the mountains of Montana there were plenty of grizzlies around. I would NOT have felt very comfortable with a .270. My 30-06 with 180 gr bullets would have been barely adequate in an emergency. I did have a couple of 220 gr Win Silvertips in my pocket in case I got into a situation with some advance notice (e.g. being stalked).

Most of the gun editors today push "practice, practice, practice." Personally, I think too much time at the range can be more detrimental than advantageous, especially when shooting canon guns. Besides developing a flinch, it can also be harmful to the eyes. Unfortunately, you never know you have thin retinas until one starts falling apart. Even if not diabetic or near sighted, you could still be at risk of detachments, especially middle age or older. I am stastically low risk and still had three detachments + multiple tears. Shoot a bazooka, you better shoot it sparingly, especially if you're a member of the over the hill gang. I still shoot my 12 gauge shotgun a lot (2,000+ rounds per year) but after retina issues I switched from fixed breech 870 to heavier semiautomatic magnum A5. My 30-06 Springfield gets a few rounds through it each fall to check for zero then one or two to get my deer. Shooting paper has never turned my crank. Moving targets are much more fun.
Ok,now your making me nervous

Understandable, jejack. I've never thought it was a good idea that clay targets are painted hunter orange. If you're hunting deer on the Hi Line during November when I'm there, it might be a good idea to whisper the word "pull" if it comes up in conversation.

Understandable, jejack. I've never thought it was a good idea that clay targets are painted hunter orange. If you're hunting deer on the Hi Line during November when I'm there, it might be a good idea to whisper the word "pull" if it comes up in conversation.
Maybe they will keep you in Canada. mtmuley

I feel your pain, I too have convinced my wife that I need a new rifle and it just so happens that she needs a new something or other that cost a lot of money too. Now sportsmen's just needs to get the rifle and scope in that I want to buy. Any idea when Weatherby and Leupold are going get stores fully stocked?

I wasn’t sure if OP’s rifle is a Weatherby (Vanguard) chambered in 270win or if it’s a 270 Weatherby. If it’s the 270win, I’d bump it up to a 300mag of some type (I like the 300 Wby). If it’s a 270 Wby, you’re already there. Hunt with 150gr bullets or a 130gr monometal and get your skills developed to put it where it needs to go

The internet will tell you how bad a lot of bullets and cartridges are. I'm with you. I had no idea the Core-Lokt sucked so bad as I gutted dead elk. mtmuley
Oh man, I love how bad the Corelokt sucks. Interlock too. I honestly prefer the suckiness of the Interlock, because they are available for reloading. One of these heavy for caliber sucky ass bullets has never let me down

Back