Yeti GOBOX Collection

Hunting Rifle Purgatory

There's nothing at all wrong with a 7mag. That was the first rifle I bought with my own money almost 30 years ago and still hunt with it.
Nothing wrong at all. This was also the first rifle I bought 40+ years ago and have never needed or wanted anything else.

I once set a oak log say like 16 inches tall and 12 inch diameter on on another log and shot it at 5 yards with a 12ga 3 inch slug 1oz and the log I shot which was on top barely wobbled and the slug penetrated maybe 5 inches. I doubt the log weighted more than 40 lbs.
This seems like an interesting point @88man is making, but as I am new to hunting and shooting it is a bit lost on me.

I get the wound vs. "knock down power" point that several are making, but I am exactly not sure what to take away from the log story (although I am sure it is obvious to most). :confused:

Is the point that a slug does not have "knock down power", but people are successful hunting with them anyway, when the shot is well placed?

Sorry, if this seems dumb, I’m just trying to learn.

Last edited:
Sounds like you’ve got some excellent rifles already. In my opinion, it’s time to step up to a .30 cal. Take your pick and enjoy getting yourself a new rifle.

The new 6.8 western looks pretty cool, but too new I think. Very similar to the 6.5 PRC which seems to be catching on.

Why does no one ever talk about the 7mm RM??? Performs similarly to 300 WM at long range with arguably less wind drift and certainly less recoil. Yeah, the 280AI is supposed to be superior but you run into availability issues (although if u reload I guess it doesnt matter). 28 Nosler expensive and too much recoil.

Reason I ask, I've pretty much settled on the 7mm RM but want someone to talk me out of it. I do not reload at this time. On paper it would work for OP as well.
Good point. After lots of thinking about a new gun last year, I bought a 7mm mag. With 168 grain bullets, it’s very accurate and recoils significantly less than my 300 win mag. My wife’s a good shot but doesn’t like recoil like most people. She shot 3 animals with it this season and wasn’t bothered by it at all.

The new 6.8 western looks pretty cool, but too new I think. Very similar to the 6.5 PRC which seems to be catching on.

Why does no one ever talk about the 7mm RM??? Performs similarly to 300 WM at long range with arguably less wind drift and certainly less recoil. Yeah, the 280AI is supposed to be superior but you run into availability issues (although if u reload I guess it doesnt matter). 28 Nosler expensive and too much recoil.

Reason I ask, I've pretty much settled on the 7mm RM but want someone to talk me out of it. I do not reload at this time. On paper it would work for OP as well.
Talk to someone who has one ... or rather the butcher who cuts their meat. That might give you cause for reflection on 7mm Rem mag. The difference between it and 300 WM is typical bullet length vs diameter. Overly long bullets traveling at magnum speeds tend to go awry on impact due to stretched out center of gravity. It's always better to be reasonably certain where the bullet will exit, especially at close range. Choice of bullets can make a difference of course.

Seems meat wastage doesn't fit into the modern hunter's code of ethics. It's a topic that almost never comes up in the literature these days. It's all about bang-flop and shooting into the next zip code. Sure was different back when I started hunting fifty-some years ago.

Definitely go for Magnum, I love my 7mmRMag, load down to 120gr for antelope and up to 168 partitions for elk, can pretty much do anything with it, IMHO.
If you want bigger go with a 300 WinMag, Tikka T3 Lite is my choice. Even in these crazy times I've seen ammo in a few stores.

I think the "recoil" talk is about that same on the myth scale as "knock down power". I've been hunting for almost 40 years and can not remember the recoil from a single shot in the field. Started out at 12 years old with a Remington 760 pump, 30-06, had steel but plate on it even, can't remember a single "kick" from it. Don't let Magnum Recoil dictate your purchase.

Not sure a 6.5 really offers any advantage over your 270. I wouldn’t hesitate to upgrade your glass on it and see if you can get some 150 accubonds or partitions to shoot. If down range knock down power is what you’re after I’d go 30-06, 7mm mag, 300 wm, or 300 wsm.
This is exactly what I had been thinking reading through the comments. Upgrade scope, stock trigger etc. on 270 and find a premium bullet in a 140-150 gr.

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use.

If it was me I would sell all your guns and go buy one custom gun in a caliber you are comfortable shooting. Think 30-06. It will kill anything you will probably ever hunt and the recoil is tolerable. Components and ammo are common (at least it used to be). Then go practice. Shooting 500 yards is a cake walk these days. You should be able to hit a pie plate at 500 yards 10 out of 10 times in a short period of time (Given good wind conditions). Honestly Shooting 700-1000 yards isn't a big deal once you have a good scope, range finder and a bit of practice. It will make shooting a deer at 500 yards a chip shot!!!!!!

Way to many guys spend more time talking about rifles and buying rifles than shooting rifles. Own one badass gun and go dent some primers often. Busting primers is way more important than anything else.

I think a lot of people confuse knock down power with shooting in the nervous system. The top of the shoulder/lower spine does just that. Bang flop. There goes a chunk of two back straps and a good mess of shoulder meat. Its your meat. If you can avoid the shoulder, it will be just as dead, albeit a little farther away. Now, if its not standing on a cliff, this shouldn't be a problem. I don't eat the lungs anyway. I like my 300wm but don't necessarily like cleaning up bloodied messes.

Talk to someone who has one ... or rather the butcher who cuts their meat. That might give you cause for reflection on 7mm Rem mag. The difference between it and 300 WM is typical bullet length vs diameter. Overly long bullets traveling at magnum speeds tend to go awry on impact due to stretched out center of gravity. It's always better to be reasonably certain where the bullet will exit, especially at close range. Choice of bullets can make a difference of course.

Seems meat wastage doesn't fit into the modern hunter's code of ethics. It's a topic that almost never comes up in the literature these days. It's all about bang-flop and shooting into the next zip code. Sure was different back when I started hunting fifty-some years ago.
I disagree with a lot of that statement, your bullet construction plays a lot into how much meat damage you get. I've seen 270 Win have more meat damage than a 300 WM. A bonded bullet or mono bullet will have less meat damage than a cup n core bullet.

Ok I’m violating my new rule to read them all, I’m out of time. My dad bought a .264wm in 1959 or 60 topped it with a 4x weaver scope. We lived in Alaska then. He killed 1/2 dozen sheep, a lot of caribou a moose or two but preferred something heavier for moose. As he puts it he also started a fight with a grizzly with the 264, wished he hadn’t done that. He killed quite a few bears, but never another one with the 264. He shot one elk with it, nice bull over in hells canyon, drilled that bull dead center on the humeru, the bullets of the day were not up to the task. Never took it elk hunting again.
To answer your question is it up to the task.
Me I would go 28 Nosler.

I disagree with a lot of that statement, your bullet construction plays a lot into how much meat damage you get. I've seen 270 Win have more meat damage than a 300 WM. A bonded bullet or mono bullet will have less meat damage than a cup n core bullet.
Yes, .270 is another overly long bullet in hunting weights. I am not a fan. The problem with bullets that are too long is, as I said, they often go awry on impact. Their butt tends to overrun their shoulders due to improper center of gravity. Not nice to shoot a deer broadside in the boiler room and have the bullet ruin the back strap on exit ... or worse. Splatter factor can be improved with fancy bullets (sometimes) but they won't help improve center of gravity. If anything those lighter specific gravity metals will make it worse because the bullet needs to be longer for the same grains as cup and core.

I will go out on a limb here and say get a 340 Weatherby or a 375 H&H. The 340 with 250 gr Partitions or Hammers will definitely take anything in NA and any African plains game. If it was legal it would work on cape buffs. The 375 H&H with 300-350 gr will do the deed on Brown bears and pretty much everything in Africa. Make sure you have a well fitting stock with a decent butt pad (Decellerator, Kick-eze etc.) and recoil will not be a problem. Incidentally, you will not lose much meat. You just eat right up to the bullet hole going in and out. FWIW. GJ.

I will go out on a limb here and say get a 340 Weatherby or a 375 H&H. The 340 with 250 gr Partitions or Hammers will definitely take anything in NA and any African plains game. If it was legal it would work on cape buffs. The 375 H&H with 300-350 gr will do the deed on Brown bears and pretty much everything in Africa. Make sure you have a well fitting stock with a decent butt pad (Decellerator, Kick-eze etc.) and recoil will not be a problem. Incidentally, you will not lose much meat. You just eat right up to the bullet hole going in and out. FWIW. GJ.
Not a limb that I would reccomend. I'm certainly not adverse to carrying a heavy gun all day (I hunt pheasants with a 31" barrel 1961 Browning A5 Magnum Twelve) but not sure I would want to climb mountains carrying a .375. I don't know if anyone makes a lightweight model .375 but if they do, they shouldn't. Good way to get retinas ripped apart (been there!). A .375 would certainly not be desirable for shooting to the next mountaintop ... which is a good thing I guess. I agree that big slug guns can be a lot less damaging to meat (which is important if not paramount), especially if velocity is held down. Does Weatherby even make such a thing? But I think the same result can be had by bumping up the bullet weight of a 30-06 and holding back on velocity. Both would be close range guns but the latter would be more portable and comfortable to shoot.

You might surprise yourself on a mtn. griz hunt. I have run into them twice on Stone's sheep hunts. I carry a 9lb 270 Roy for sheep and would have wished for my 340 which weighs the same as my sheep gun. I guess the weight doesn't bother me (must be weird). I agree about not typically using a 375 H&H for sheep. It can be done of course out to 300 yards or so. My 375 weighs about 10 lbs. If the stock fits you and you have a good butt pad I wouldn't worry about your retinas. I have never had any kind of issue eyesight wise. Anyway, Whatever way you jump have fun. GJ

Last edited:
Alright, I've done my work at home and convinced my wife that buying a new hunting rifle and scope is a great idea...she bit and I've got the green light to get what I want! Problem is, I'm not a huge "gun guy," as every firearm I have is a hand-me-down from my dad. I know, what a terrible problem to have...

I've been big game hunting most of my adult life and have really gotten in to western big game hunting since I moved to Colorado back in 2013. I've had amazing success with my Weatherby .270 and that rifle has put a lot of animals down, but I'm looking to up my game with respect to distance shooting. Now, let me be clear, I'm not interested in distance shooting just because, I considered myself to be extremely ethical when it comes to taking game and ensure a clean kill is top priority. That said, I want to be able to take an animal at 400-500 yards if the terrain forces the situation. I prefer to hunt open sage country for antelope, and more specifically mule deer, and taking longer shots is starting to creep in to my head as I get older and less sneaky. I'm comfortable shooting up to around 350 yards with my .270, but would like to get comfortable shooting a little further.

With all the said, I'm in the market for a new gun and am looking for recommendations on caliber, and whether or not now is the right time to buy a new gun to begin with. With respect to caliber, I already own the aforementioned .270, but I also have a .243 Winchester and .264 Winchester magnum. It's a good array of firearms, but I'm looking for that next step up caliber to effectively hunting mule deer, elk, caribou and larger animals, with more knock down power, in a flat shooting caliber, at long ranges. With recent research I've keyed in on the 6.5 Creedmoor and also the 28 Nosler, but I'd like your thoughts and recommendations.

Also, I'm having a really hard time telling myself that now is the best time to buy a new rifle given the ammo shortage and that I can't waste round after round practicing with my new firearm.

With respect to optics, again I don't consider myself a "gun guy," so your thoughts on easy to use scopes that help you adjust for distance are appreciated. I like the simplicity of the Leupold CDS system, but convince me there's something better our there and I'd love to take a look.

Anyway, I'm curious to see what you all think/recommend and feel free to send me any information/articles/etc. that you think I should check out to inform my decisions.

Happy hunting!

Mike
No expert here,but the 264 would get everything done that a 6.5 would. The 28 would be better for elk.

You might surprise yourself on a mtn. griz hunt. I have run into them twice on Stone's sheep hunts. I carry a 9lb 270 Roy for sheep and would have wished for my 340 which weighs the same as my sheep gun. I guess the weight doesn't bother me (must be weird). I agree about not typically using a 375 H&H for sheep. It can be done of course out to 300 yards or so. My 375 weighs about 10 lbs. If the stock fits you and you have a good butt pad I wouldn't worry about your retinas. I have never had any kind of issue eyesight wise. Anyway, Whatever way you jump have fun. GJ
No disagreement here. When I hunted elk in the mountains of Montana there were plenty of grizzlies around. I would NOT have felt very comfortable with a .270. My 30-06 with 180 gr bullets would have been barely adequate in an emergency. I did have a couple of 220 gr Win Silvertips in my pocket in case I got into a situation with some advance notice (e.g. being stalked).

Most of the gun editors today push "practice, practice, practice." Personally, I think too much time at the range can be more detrimental than advantageous, especially when shooting canon guns. Besides developing a flinch, it can also be harmful to the eyes. Unfortunately, you never know you have thin retinas until one starts falling apart. Even if not diabetic or near sighted, you could still be at risk of detachments, especially middle age or older. I am stastically low risk and still had three detachments + multiple tears. Shoot a bazooka, you better shoot it sparingly, especially if you're a member of the over the hill gang. I still shoot my 12 gauge shotgun a lot (2,000+ rounds per year) but after retina issues I switched from fixed breech 870 to heavier semiautomatic magnum A5. My 30-06 Springfield gets a few rounds through it each fall to check for zero then one or two to get my deer. Shooting paper has never turned my crank. Moving targets are much more fun.

Back