Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Hunting Rifle Purgatory

I agree with most on here that you don't really "need" a new gun. I think the .270, and especially the .264 win mag, are among the best long range antelope and mule deer calibers you can buy. I don't think the 6.5cm and 28 Nosler give you much of anything you don't already have.

However, you don't want to waste a green-light opportunity to buy a new gun. :) If you wanted to "step up" to a caliber that is a little more authoritative on elk while also expanding your gun library in a logical way, I'd suggest something in a .30 caliber. For me, it would be a .308 or 30-06. Any good gun collection should have at least one of those in it. I don't necessarily recommend any gun for 500 yard shots on an animal, but if I were to take a 500 yard shot, I would want to do so after a LOT of range time with that gun. Whenever ammo is available again, .308 and 30-06 ammo can be found at reasonable prices at almost any place that sells ammo and a day at the range won't leave you with a dislocated shoulder, lessening the likelihood of developing a flinch.

I'd never discourage someone from buying a new gun. With a 243, 264mag and 270 in the stable already, my vote goes for something 300 flavored, be it win mag, short mag, weatherby or H&H. Then again, 338-06 or 35Whelan would be interesting too.
That said, I agree that either your 264 or 270 will do everything you are looking for and then some. A scope upgrade and premium bullets should be all you need.

I'd never discourage someone from buying a new gun. With a 243, 264mag and 270 in the stable already, my vote goes for something 300 flavored, be it win mag, short mag, weatherby or H&H. Then again, 338-06 or 35Whelan would be interesting too.
That said, I agree that either your 264 or 270 will do everything you are looking for and then some. A scope upgrade and premium bullets should be all you need.
then spend the savings on tags!

I think a .300 Win Mag compliments a .270 Win very well. Similar initial velocities depending on bullet weight (ie. a 150 grain from a .270 and a 180 grain from a 300 WM both start at about 2950 fps). That 180 grain will hold more velocity and energy past 300 yards. Whether that will make a major difference in killing efficiency is up for debate. Recoil is certainly something to think about with the 300 WM. I don't like shooting them personally, but I consider myself fairly recoil sensitive.

I'm thinking more and more about getting a 6.5CM and doing a "one rifle" season with it next year to see everyone's heads explode on here.

6.5CM has tons of commercial loads if you don't reload.

I've done it accidentally for 3 years in a row now just 'cuz mine shoots nice and it's on the front of the rack, no exploded heads head...sorry rain on your parade

I could do that too, though I’ve taken a few elk with the .270 and i feel like it lacks the knock down power

I don’t reload, so this is helpful, thanks!

The "knock-down power" myth is so annoying :rolleyes:

If you just want another gun that's not redundant to what you have and more powerful, get something in a .30 caliber magnum. If you want something more accurate for 'long range' get one of the new hopped-up 6.5s. But, your .270 and .264 will kill pretty much anything anything on our continent if you do your part...

The new 6.8 western looks pretty cool, but too new I think. Very similar to the 6.5 PRC which seems to be catching on.

Why does no one ever talk about the 7mm RM??? Performs similarly to 300 WM at long range with arguably less wind drift and certainly less recoil. Yeah, the 280AI is supposed to be superior but you run into availability issues (although if u reload I guess it doesnt matter). 28 Nosler expensive and too much recoil.

Reason I ask, I've pretty much settled on the 7mm RM but want someone to talk me out of it. I do not reload at this time. On paper it would work for OP as well.

The new 6.8 western looks pretty cool, but too new I think. Very similar to the 6.5 PRC which seems to be catching on.

Why does no one ever talk about the 7mm RM??? Performs similarly to 300 WM at long range with arguably less wind drift and certainly less recoil. Yeah, the 280AI is supposed to be superior but you run into availability issues (although if u reload I guess it doesnt matter). 28 Nosler expensive and too much recoil.

Reason I ask, I've pretty much settled on the 7mm RM but want someone to talk me out of it. I do not reload at this time. On paper it would work for OP as well.
Can’t talk a man out of 7 mag.

There isn’t a darned bit of difference n killing effectiveness at 500 yards between a .270, a 6.5 CM, a .264 WM and a 28 Nosler. Some shoot flatter. Some don’t. Knock down power is a fallacy. Wound channels kill.
Correct no such thing as knock down power as the killing is all about the wound. I once set a oak log say like 16 inches tall and 12 inch diameter on on another log and shot it at 5 yards with a 12ga 3 inch slug 1oz and the log I shot which was on top barely wobbled and the slug penetrated maybe 5 inches. I doubt the log weighted more than 40 lbs.

300 Win Mag w/ a good 180 grain bullet....181 Hammer Hunter if loading. It's the next logical ladder rung in the OP's arsenal....IMO

Not really sure what the question is here. You have a 270, cannot complain about that. A 243, good and a 264 wm, wish I still had mine. If you’re just looking for a “elk” rifle or bigger, buy a 300. Take your pick, Winchester, Weatherby or RUM, who cares! Heck, I have 4 of them and one’s a saum.
What you have will cover anything in the lower 48, but if you want a new rifle, get one. A 6.5 Cm would not be my choice, stacking too close to what you already have.

The rifles you currently have will certainly do the job and a scope upgrade for the 270 isn't a bad idea, if you want to skip buying a new rifle. If you want a new rifle, then I'd do that even though you don't 'have to.' If you find the rifle you want then I'd buy it now, but since you're covered already with some good rifles, don't be in a hurry. Where I live rifles on the shelf are slim pickings, ammo - well they might as well start stocking those shelves with something else, they're bare every time I look. My opinion is that it's nice to handle a rifle before buying, if you're interested in a Browning/Christensen/Sako/Kimber/etc. and the store has any caliber of that model take a look at it to decide if you like the 'rifle.' At some point when models and calibers come back in stock you'll have a better idea what you like and fits you best.

The .270 Weatherby is no slouch; get a nice scope and buy a new rifle when we know what ammo will be available. Haven't used them but guys on here and another group swear by Hammer bullets and maybe .270 Bee + Hammer = .300 with Cup & Core bullets. There are guys that will custom reload for you.

There's nothing at all wrong with a 7mag. That was the first rifle I bought with my own money almost 30 years ago and still hunt with it.

There's nothing at all wrong with a 7mag. That was the first rifle I bought with my own money almost 30 years ago and still hunt with it.
Nice!

I guess the knock on it would be you can't shoot heavier bullets? But if I'm spending the money on a moose or brown bear hunt I'm probably rich enough to just buy another rifle for that purpose.

...completely sped read past the 270 WBy, as in Wby Mag....great round, alpha glass it & hunt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back