Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Hunting Rattlesnakes?

LMAO Doug.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

About forty years ago, there was a coin shop in Sacramento,California, that had been robbed a number of times. Watch dogs and alarms didn't seem to do any good at all. The bad guys would come in thru cielings and neighboring walls to bypass the alarm, and throw meet to the dogs, and then do what ever they wanted to. One day, the owner got an idea. In his front display window, where it could be seen from the street, he placed a large wire cage, with two very large rattle snakes in it. There was a heating pad, hooked to a timer on the bottom of the cage. During the day, the heating pad was on, and the snakes were very comfortable. Just befor quiting time, the timer would kill the power to the heating pad. When the owner would leave to go home, he would unlatch the cage door and open it. As the pad cooled down, the snakes would climb out, and look for a warmer place. Anyone looking at the front window from outside, would see an empty snake cage, and a sign warning trespassers of rattle snakes loose on the premisses. In the morning, the timer would turn the heat on again. The snakes would sense the warmth, and slither back into the cage. The shop owner would come in in the morning, close the cage door, and the "watch snakes" were there for all to see. He was never burglarized again.
Now, if you were to do something like that now, some dufas would break in, get bit, and sue your but right out of businnes, and into the poor farm!But boy, what I would give to see the look on that idiots face just as there eyes met!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

That post put up on the survival section, has some big snakes..Those would really get some ones attention...LOL...
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I figure that rattlesnakes don't eat anything that other snakes won't eat, and the other ones won't make me extremely ill or dead if they bite me. Therefore, rattlers are fair game. Besides, I think they have killed off most of the ground squirrels on public land, depriving me of the chance to kill them. And I am doing my part to ensure the survival of the endangered rodents of the San Joaquin valley.

You know what... Rattlesnakes and elk have something in common...

If you could find a way to keep them on the BBQ without killing them, I would say that there is no reason to kill them... As I've found it very hard to grill them alive, I will continue to kill them first..

Anyone else discovered how good BBQ rattler is?? Makes great chili and it's really good with scrambled eggs in the morning... Pretty good with guta cheese on a philly roll with some mayo and onion...

cool.gif

Use to hunt em as a kid all the time, we used a crowbar for prying up rocks after we rocked em enough to hear buzzin, and a fishing pole with a snap swivel on the line , snapped back on the line to make a noose, and a .410 for back up, we would pickem up with the noose and shake em loose in the bed of the old pickup, we had a spare tire in the back and they would form a ball under it every time. we would sell em alive or skin em for hat bands, or if the local policeman pissed us off we would slide the whole dang ball of em out the back of the truck in the middle of main street , man would they scatter when they hit the hot pavement.... h2m

I have caught somewhere North of 2000. My best year was 576 rattlesnakes. I have more snake stories than you want to hear, but that last one about the cops reminds me of a real funny one.

I was about 16 years old and had about 20 rattlers in a burlap bag in the back of my dads blazer. We had one cooler full of beer and another one that was empty. Every time we hit a bump that bag of snakes would start rattling, so we put them in the empty cooler so we wouldn't have to listen to them. We took the plug out and left it a little cracked so they wouldn't suffocate.

We get pulled over by a young cop and he immediately saw the coolers and empty beer cans in the back. You could tell where this was going so we told him to look in the cooler, but be careful because it was full of rattle snakes. You could tell he didn't believe us, but when he cracked that lid they lit up. He slammed it back down and turned white as a ghost.

We got a damn good laugh out of it because he never knew they were in a sack and if he had opened the other cooler we would have been dead busted.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back